need a bass rig for jazz and playing punk/rock/metal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tmd, Dec 28, 2005.

1. tmd

Dec 28, 2005
    Im in a band and i need a rig that i can run 2 cabnets. in one cab i need 2 10s and the other i need one 18". I want the 18cab for the power that hit you in the chest at a concert. And i want the 2 10s cab for the clean jazz shows. and i would like to put both of them on stage a the rock concerts

i have a ltd b-255 bass

my bass teacher said that i needed 2 cabs but he has not look at any in a long time. so he said ask around

what cabs do yall sugest
    and what head would run both cabs at the same time

I used to play guitar and have a mesa boogie triple rectifire half stack does bass come in stacks like that or is it somethen diff.

i would like to keep the rig set up under 1200 if that is possible. I can buy a the rig in sections if i need to
  2. it's all in your ears man....

Needing 2 cabs is a weird thing to say, tons of people run one. As far as stacks... you can stick a 4x10 ontop of a 1x15... thats big, but common.
  3. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I myself would go for a 15 and 210 setup . . . an 18 is too heavy and too much nowadays. I'd use the 15 for the jazz shows, more low end thump.

Brands . . . that's up to you. I use Dr. Bass because they're super light and cheap.

edit: Oh, and heads you say? Even more up to you. So much so that I won't bother saying anything other than I really like Nemesis amps for just about anything.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    [broken record on :rolleyes:]

definitely ashdown MAD series. terrific price point w/ their lower lines, and heck, they sound good! i'm a big fan.

[broken record off :rolleyes:]

you think they should start paying me or something. ;)

and like snarf mentioned, i dont think you'd need an 18" speaker loaded cab. most cabs these days go as low if not lower than most 18" speakers, so using them is sorta dated.
  5. tmd

Dec 28, 2005
    so i should just go with 4 10s. or 2 10s and 1 15?
    can i put 2 10s and 1 15 in the same cab? or do they need to be separt.

i have no clue on what to do :help: . so if yall tell me the best set ups that would be great.

what are the top three brands that are could do all of this for under 2000... head and cab included

thanks alot you guys are have been really helpful
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Find a Peavey 1820. It is one 18" speaker, and two 10's. It will do it all for you.

Since you have a few different styles you are after, I would suggest you get a couple cabs. Perhaps two 210's. A 410 and a 115 would also be nice.

7. Stumpy6653

Sep 12, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    My thought is that you might actually look at the Eden Metro and the 410xst. You have the nice jazz stuff, as I am/have used it for that, and then the smokin' bottom end and solid state preamp for the punk stuff. The Metro is switchable.