NEED A BASS TO PLAY THE BEATLES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gsbkv10, Sep 5, 2010.

1. gsbkv10

gsbkv10

Sep 5, 2010
    I want to play The Beatles.
    Especially the songs such as Taxman, Come Together, Paperback Writer, Rain.
    I wish I could buy Hofner, Rickenbacker, or Fender VI Jazz.
    But I can't afford that!
    My budget is $300. I don't mind buying a used one.
    Any recommendation please?

2. Hofner Icons are close to that price range as are Jay Turser and Epiphone Violin basses. Many Beatles basslines were actually played with a Jazz bass in the studio.

3. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    You can certainly find a used Hofner Icon for under $300. I see them on eBay all the time.

4. What bass/basses do you own now?

I always thought picking a warmer instrument yielded a brighter response, similar to a Beatles-esque tone. Also adjusting your EQ settings to favor treble.....

I know nothing about effects pedals, but I bet there's something you can use to help as well....

Have fun.

5. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
  6. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    Get the Icon...... the Rouge,Epi.Douglas and others sound cant compare to the Icon IMO

7. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I use a Longhorn with flats. Very woody tone.

8. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Obviously, you can play the Beatles on any bass. If you're after Paul's tone, flatwound strings or rolling the tone control way back will get you part of the way there.

If you want to go for the "authentic" angle, a Hofner copy might be cool. They are short (or medium?) scale, right? That could play into the picture. Of course, Riks and Jazz basses are long scale (34").

9. fish552

fish552

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    I just picked up a Hofner Icon bass at GC for $299.00 (new) and have LaBella flatwounds on the way.

10. john_g

john_g

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    +1

We only play Your Birthday, and occasionally at that, but I do it on my G&Ls where I adjust the onboard EQ and get a convincing replica to the original. If I was doing alot of Beatles stuff I would definitely use flats, but you can play them on any bass.

11. TMBTC

TMBTC

Oct 18, 2009
    Milton,Fl
    And GC is having a Labor day sale... get a coupon online for an extra 15% off

12. Okay, at the risk of getting flamed by other TBers, here goes:

If it's not a lookalike band, may I suggest a P bass. Yes, a P bass. With the tone knob 50% or less, you can get a convincing Hofner sound as well as having a bass that's good for most other stuff and there's no need to learn to adjust to a small scale Hofner or rob a bank to get a Rickenbacker. I'm just coming home from a cover gig and for our Beatles set, I used my P bass instead of the vintage Hofner that the club has and would let me use and I gotta say that the p bass nailed it. You can probably find a MIM P bass used within your budget.

13. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    I've used a jazz with the neck pickup soloed and played with my right hand above the neck pickup, sometimes at the bottom of the neck, and pretty much nailed it. You can get the sound with nearly any bass with the right technique.

14. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    bassnyc1,

No flames here. I agree, you can get a "Paulish" sound out of any number of basses, including a P.

It kind of depends on how much you want/need to get into a Beatles "frame of mind".

If it was a Beatles tribute band, specific Beatles gear would be a must.

15. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Buy a bass, learn the notes, play the songs, have fun. It shouldn't matter what bass you play them with. Do I need the same golf clubs Tiger Woods uses to play golf or should I learn how to how to use the clubs first then worry about image?

16. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    If you just want to play Beatle songs, get a bass you like and enjoy playing, and play away.

If you want the vibe, tone and look, get a Hofner Icon. And put flats on it.

17. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Only real Beatle fans will care that you're playing a similar bass to any of Sir Paul's.
    There are several decent Hofner copies that look and sound authentic, remember that original Hofner was essentially just a cheapy too.

18. Thank you, Bob C

To the OP: as others have already said, just have fun with the music and don't worry so much about the equipment unless it is a lookalike band. Concentrate more on the nuances of Sir Paul's playing; slides, picking, etc, (but no need to obsess!) and I'm sure you'll have a blast! As almost everybody knows, the Beatles and their music gave and still give such joy to so many people that when you play their music in front of people, it's such a thrill to see their reactions.

19. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
  20. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 18, 2021