NEED A BASS TO PLAY THE BEATLES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gsbkv10, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Get one of these:

[​IMG]

And string with these:

[​IMG]

G.

2. Wayfarer

Wayfarer

Apr 24, 2010
    Little Rock
    Go with Hofner. You won't be disappointed.

3. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    As others have stated, unless you're in a tribute band where you have to look the part, any decent bass will work. Tone is a combination of many things, and often players don't spend enough time with what they've got and really learn what is possible before they go throwing money at the problem (btdt). A bass is an instrument - fretting a note and plucking a string is just the start of playing.

4. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Avoid the Ibanez Iceman and Gibson Explorer.

5. +1 on the use any bass, flatwounds, tone rolled back....

But can I add use a pick? Seems to add to the "Beatles" sound.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    so far i've seen and heard paul play a hofner, a ric, a jazz bass, a yamaha bb model, and a wal, and he sounds exactly like what you'd expect from paul no matter what he uses. it's fun to have basses like what your favorites play, and i even own a jay turser beatle bass copy and love it, but in the end, YOU are the one who has to play it, so get what YOU want and not what you think paul would like. he doesn't care...he's busy getting ripped off by ex-wives ;)

7. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    You can conceivably play The Beatles on ANY bass. I would suggest finding ways to get/emulate the sounds of those recordings (if that is your intent) with what you already have via amp knob/eq tweaking and bass knob tweaking and also technique.

8. rockzombie

rockzombie Inactive

Aug 21, 2010
    Forget the P bass fans advice! That is the incorrect sound for early Beatles. You WILL end up with a CHEAP hollow body bass, you will not add trashy fills (play it simple the way Paul played it) I can't get away with covering any early tunes on my solid body Yamaha even with flats, just won't fit in. Find a cheap hollow body Hoffner knock off on EBAY for $250.oo. What you are looking for is a slightly boomy hollow wood knocking sound, if that makes sense. Go back and listen good to Day Tripper and it will become clear that what you don't want is an expensive modern sounding guitar. Good luck and thank you for choosing a quality band to cover!!!!!!

9. I agree with GeoffByrne... a Bronco can be a great bass and RS88s are the ticket for a wooly tone.

I have a Rogue violin bass with flats that has the sound but it's too bad the bass isn't really all that comfortable to me so I don't play it that often.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    Are you going for the "look" or the "sound"

The look would be Hofner, hofner copy or Rickenbacker.

The sound would be Fender, Rickenbacker, or Hofner. All of those were used to record Beatle bass lines.

11. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I play Sgt Pepper Part I on my Stingray5. I'm not sure if he was using the Rick at that time, though.

12. MyWifeBoris

MyWifeBoris

Jun 28, 2010
    Canada
    "What is the best bass for Beatles?"

"What is the best bass for metal?

13. gsbkv10

gsbkv10

Sep 5, 2010
    Thanks for the great advice!
    But some of you don't understand what I really want.
    I think I didn't explain well to you guys, I apologize.

I'm not looking for a bass for just playing the Beatles.
    Anything can just 'play' the Beatles.
    I'm not looking for the 'LOOK' too.
    All I want is the 'SOUND'.

What we hear from the Beatle records is Paul playing Rickenbacker bass, not Hofner.
    Paul started to use Rickenbacker 4001s since the revolver album rather than using Hofner.
    He used Hofner for the live shows, only because it's light.

It would be easy if I just buy the same one he used.
    But I can't afford it. Rickenbacker is soooo expensive.
    Or if I have bunch of expensive equipments like amps and effects that make any bass sounds like anything, that would be easy solution too. But I'm just a poor musician.

I think I made my point clearly. Again, I didn't explain well to you on the last thread, I apologize.
    Your advice will be tremendously helpful.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    A lot of the Beatle recordings were Paul playing the Hofner or Rick. But Paul also played a jazz, and John and George did some bass lines with a jazz and sometimes a Fender vi. Probably all the songs were flatwound strings played with a pick.

Also a p-bass would work as well.

15. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    Oh, it was a quiz. :meh: What fun.

16. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    If you can play the lines Paul played, with the same feel and timing, no one will really care if the tone isn't exactly the same.

The bass doesn't matter...

17. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Well, that's really correct.

The Fab Feaux's gear actually sounds BETTER than the Beatles in many ways (very best equipment and great players) but they certainly pull off the songs in a very satisfying way.

18. Get the Epiphone, it has good sound and good looks

maccaphone.jpg

19. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    If you want to ear the (good) sound of the Paul's Hofner today, check the Hard Rock Calling 2009 concert. :cool:

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021