Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aryn, Nov 18, 2000.

1. Aryn

Aryn

Nov 18, 2000
    Hey all!
    Currently i own a tobias renegade 4 but i need a new bass.
    I am looking for somthing that will work for jazz mainly but i want to be able to slap on it. What are the best basses for this. I like the natural wood look so i am kinda staying away from fender jazz basses. price range- 1000- 1500. any comments suggestions? thanks.
    aryn

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A comment - You're going to probably get as many different answers from as many different people. There's a medical school axiom about various medicines for specific illnesses that applies here - When you see a lot of drugs suggested for a certain problem, it means each of them does something particularly well that the others don't. I think this applies to your mid-range and high-end basses, amps, and pick-ups. (Just look at the muggings that took place in the the "Why do people play SWR's" thread).
    Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide. Shopping for new gear is so excruciatingly sweet.

3. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    If you want something cool, check out G&L L-1000. I think it's a great bass for nearly anything. Just a suggestion....

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Why are you staying away from Jazz basses because you like a natural finish?They are available(in ash)that way.

5. elm3r

elm3r Guest

Or, if you want the natural-wood look: buy a J-Bass, chip of the enamel, and sand it down.... viola.
    Also, are you going fretted or fretless?

6. Aryn

Aryn

Nov 18, 2000
    I dont know. i might get a fretted and the sell my tobias and get a nice fretless. so many choices.

7. Aryn

Aryn

Nov 18, 2000
    What about ken smiths? are they any good what are they good for?

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You could also check out the Czech Spectors. Really nice basses, from what I hear :)

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Need a little more information here dude. So, how many strings? Any pickup # bias? What kind of sound do you like (specifically)? Tell us a little more! :D

10. Aryn

Aryn

Nov 18, 2000
    4 strings. no pickup bias that i can think of. I like a very warm tone. mainly for straigh ahead jazz.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Man, if you wanted WARM tone, a Zon Sonus Lightwave would be perfection, but theyre a BIT out of the target $$$ zone. Too bad.

Maybe even an ash P-bass, strung with flats. That would sound pretty freakin warm, if EQed right.

Also, if you want a fretless, check out a Tobias Growler. Similiar to the Renegade, but a bigger bridge pickup (and minus the neck pickup), and has much more tonal versatility. With a set of flats, i was able to get mine VERY warm.