1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a battery compartment

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stinsok, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I recently purchased an 80's Fernandes Jazz. It has Ken Smith active pickups, and the battery is under the control plate. It is a rather tight fit, and I imagine that over time the control plate screw holes will wear out/strip, etc. How big of a deal would it be to install a battery compartment on the back of the bass? What tools would I need? Could you recommend someone in the Southeast who could do it?

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I'm not 100% since I've never done this, but I don't think it would be too hard. Rout out a small cavity, chisel at the edges to make it more square (instead of a rounded square), and drill a line from the controls to the compartment. I'm not to far north of you -- Huntsville area, actually, but I'm just starting out, so I wouldn't recommend myself. I'm not trying to volunteer anyone, but Hambone has done some repairs and mods for people. He's in the Atlanta are and is probably your best bet.