Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Hey, I just got a Peavey TNT 115 combo. It's all right you know, coulnd't afford anything bigger. Anyway, sence I can add another 200 watt cab to it, what should I add? I know in the future when I can afford a full stack, I'd also like to make this cab part of the full stack. I was thinking GK, but would a GK cab sound alright when I use it with the peavey combo untill i get a GK head? Anyway, thanks again for your time.

*edit* I just looked on Musicians Friend, would this work good with it? GK 115SBX Bass Cab

-Josh

2. i would say adding a 15 would be good because a 4x10 would probly be too much to lift, and when you upgrade to head and stack you could just get a 2x10, i think 4x10s are too heavy and need alot of power behind them to bring out the best.

3. RuppertJiles

RuppertJiles

Apr 14, 2004
    Any 1X15, 2X10, 4X10 cab etc would be fine as long as you watch the ohms rating. Your owners manual or dealer can help you with this if you're not sure.

I've always found ohm theory confusing and have known good players that fried their equipment by not paying attention to it. My head runs 300 watts ouput at 4 ohms so I run a 2X10, 8 ohm cab, and a 1X15, 8 ohm cab and both of those together calculate to 4 ohms total (there's a formula that's used to do the calculation). When I run through one 8 ohm cab my head is only achieving ~160 watts or so. Dropping below 4 ohms could fry my head. Like I said, it's confusing. :meh:

Find a cab you like and can afford, pay attention to the ohms, plug in and have a bunch of fun.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey you're in the same situation im in. Although insted im getting a 210 made for me. I think it all depends on your taste, 215 might be a little low then again it might sound just right to someone else. But yea make sure you're getting a 4ohm cab to hook up to the tnt. I've got tnt also and love it but its missing something so thats why im adding a 210. The total power will be around 200-250 watts or so. So it be fairly good for small shows and what not.

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    What HE said. Peavey makes fully compatable 1x15 to match your combo, BTW. :)

6. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Plus, the peavey 1x15 is cheaper than the GK one. Only $300.

7. Ok, thanks, but one of my questions wasn't answered. Would a GK cab sound good with a peavey combo? I mean, like the tones of the two brands are different, so would it kind clash? Or am I better off just sticking with a peavey cab?