1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need a cheap backup bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buliwyfff, Aug 24, 2007.

1. buliwyfff

buliwyfff

Oct 13, 2006
    Virginia
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    $55 shipping? LOL! I don't know, I wouldn't get it.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    +1 to SX!

I don't know how much you want to spend, but I bought an MTD Artist as a backup ($450 used on eBay, including shipping), and I like it so much that it's pretty much become my main bass.

- Dave

4. buliwyfff

buliwyfff

Oct 13, 2006
    Virginia
    yea but the bass is 9.99...thats like 65 bucks for a bass..I think I could probably get a decent tone out of it..Im really happy with my main bass so Im not looking for a replacement just something to bring to gigs as a last resort if mine randomly stops working. Does anyone have one of these?

5. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I fully support Peavey Foundations, I own 3 - they cost less than $200 and are indestructible! They sound, to some people, better than Fenders!

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    +1 to the Rondo/SX suggestion.
    I went to Rondo for this because I wanted a P/J sound without the Fender cost:
    WhitePJH.

Then got this Brice to add to the Greco LP bass rotation:
    BriceGrecoFXd.

SX was fine except a vibrating saddle. A drop of Loctite on a toothpick applied at the point of bridge contact fixed that.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I'd go with the SX.

For less than $150 including shipping, you won't find a better bass.

I used my first one as a backup to my vintage Fender, and now use the SX as my main gigging bass. It sees lots and lots of stage time. All they need, as every bass does, is a good initial set up, and you're off to the races. I highly recomend them. Bought a second SX used as a backup to my no.1 SX.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am going to put this in my signature....

Before you post asking what a good, cheap bass is... just buy a used MIM Fender P or J for $200.

10. +1...thats my backup bass. actually my backup backup, but theyre still great for the price.

11. Eddy Lee

Eddy Lee

Aug 24, 2007
    How do you like the Brice? I was looking at that brand for a cheep 5-string.. They also had an 8-string that looked interesting too.. They sure looked purty enough for budget/back-up/knockaround basses, but how's the construction, playability, tone, etc?

-Ed

12. Mudder

Mudder

Aug 23, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    You might consider an older USA Peavey...I just picked up a Patriot 4 for around $175 shipped.