Need a Cheap Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thaimex, Apr 15, 2005.

1. thaimex

Apr 15, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    okay, so i am actually a guitarist but i need a bass to use occasionally on my recordings.

i was looking at the Squier Standard Series but was unsure of which to pick between the J-Bass or P-Bass.

keep in mind, i am a guitarist first and i don't really do much "technical" bass playing... mostly simple lines to ride along with the drums. so i am just looking for a good, versitile, cheap bass...

any suggestions?

Squier P-Bass or J-Bass?

Or even another Bass?
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Squier of Mexican Fender P-bass should be fine. Try to play a few before you buy one, since quality varies quite a bit with those. Peavey and Yamaha also make good rock-bottom priced basses.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Where are you located? If you are in the US, check out the SX basses at Rondo Music.
    More consistent than the Squiers, and less money too.

I have a $99 SX P bass copy, and it is better than any of the newer Squiers that I have played in shops.
  4. thaimex

Apr 15, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    thanks for the replies. the SX basses actually look pretty nice.

any other suggestions/comments.
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Definately SX over Squire, to say the least.

Even the stock pickups sound pretty good...
  6. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    yamaha bb404 from musicians friend for 199 is a very nice option
  7. Look at the OLP MM series....consitantly get high ratings from reviewers...not exactly a Stingray (by a long shot) but solid bass for the money.
  8. I'll second the SX basses from Rondo Music - I have a fretless Jazz from them, and it's very good for the money ;)

I've also played a couple of OLP stingray copies, and can recommend those also as a cheap option.
  9. My Ibanez GSR200 was, and still is a GREAT bass for the price. It blows Squire basses out of the water, by far. I played a great Yamaha Fretless that cost 120 bucks (Yes, it was a joy to play:-/)
  10. JimmyTheSaint

Mar 15, 2005
    Since you're already used to more strings and narrower spacing, how about a six string bass? You could end up doing more than riding along with the drums. Brice HXB 6-strings are $290 at Rondo.
  11. Just had a look at the SX link above, basses look good at a reasonable price. The specs on the J-Bass body I saw stated that it's solid alder body, which is good. Just make sure that the neck is ok. If the electronics sound crap, then it's worth buying some reasonable pickups (passive or active) to get a nicer sound and less noise for recording, but you may not need them.

There are some differences between the P-Bass and J-Bass:

The P-Bass generally has a fat bottom end sound, doesn't cut that much through the mix. If you don't need that much definition, then this is fine.

The J-Bass has a much more versatile sound. It has the bottom, not as fat as the P-Bass, and much more mid range sound for better definition. This bass will cut through the mix more.

They also have a PJ-Bass, which is sort of a combination between the P and J basses. P-Bass body with a P-Bass neck pickup and J-Bass bridge pickup. So it has the fat P sound and the option of the J bridge mid sound and definition.

Also, the neck on the P-Bass is wider than the J-Bass.
  12. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I 3rd, 4th and 5th the Essex (SX) bass recomendations. I have a G&L and wanted a cheapy to play in a crazy punk band project. I was weary of taking my 1400 dollar G&L to beer, bottles, cans and kids throwing punk I got a Jazz bass SX. I put EMG actice jazz pickups (which cost about as much as the bass itself!) in it. Man, it sounds and plays great! Total cost less than 400 with a case! With the new pickups...this thing is pretty beefy and growly. I was looking at MIM Fenders...but they cost too much for what you get.
    Good luck!