1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a cheap high quality 6 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdr, Apr 4, 2006.

1. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    ewwww pickguard...

honestly, this bass looks gross,,,,,, it may sound good, but its gross looking

2. SoulMaim

SoulMaim

Dec 1, 2005
    Ontario
    Is it better than a peavey grind 6?

3. mmmmm i dunno. id like to hear its tone. for 6 strings in a decent price range i still like my choice of Spector Legend 6 :)

4. Hey guys, rip on it all you want that's cool. :bawl:

I have one and it is on par with some of the best basses I have owned (60+ including Roscoe, Sadowsky, etc.) The tone is among the best of my 6 basses, I play it often.

I just posted here to help someone get a great deal on a very nice, USA made, 6 string bass with electronics similar to the USA Cirrus basses all for $299!!!!

5. bleh.

pick guard.

who in their right mind plays a 6 with a pick?!

6. i've never thought about that but yea really? i've never seen it done before.

7. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    This is a pretty nice bass at a very good price (based on the current auction price). Like most Peavey basses, it's a solid, dependable axe that'll do the trick for you.

Like BassDr said, tighter string spacing if that's the way you like things (I prefer a bit more room), it's has a pretty definable tone and pretty tight B. Well worth the money, certainly much better construction than most low end 6's. If the spacing was just a bit roomier, I wouldn't hesitate to grab that for ~$300.

Lots of people ..... I'm a fingerstyle player, but I use a pick with 6's & 7's for chording. I've regularly considered putting a pickguard on my basses. Here's just a few examples .....

ww71.

CIMG2143.

edit .... these are not my basses (I wish they were ;) ), just examples of ERB's w/guards

8. Many 4,5 and 6 string basses are made with pickguards. Despite the name, it protects the finish from fingernails and regular fingerstyle playing wear. They are also used to cover routes for electronics.

Many bass builders use them, gosh, even the Sadowksy I owned had a clear pickguard on it.:eek:

I honestly never expected this thread to digress into a smear fest on this bass.

9. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    looks like a decent bass, for the price even if it is a dud, you can just sell it back on the bay for what you got it for

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I don't think it looks bad.:confused:

Sort of a modern / vintage blend. I would consider one if I was in the market for a six.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, there's this weird guy called Anthony Jackson...

;)

12. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    You beat me to it ... ;)

Liam

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Is this accurate? Seems to me that the electronics and the capabilities contained therein are markedly different.

At any rate, they are well-made basses. If you can get one at $300.00, that's a fine deal, IMHO. I like my Spector NS2000Q6, whch I snagged for $450.00 better, but that's just me.

14. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Doesn't that have an upgraded bridge? There isn't a close up pic of the bridge but it looks like hipshot. If so, that would be a kickin bass. IMHO, the biggest problem with those in the beginning was the wilkinson bridge. If that has a hipshot it should really be a nice player.

15. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Phil Lesh also plays his sixes with a pick I believe...
    - Tom

16. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yeah it's not much like what's on current usa peaveys. It has active VFL pickups and an active pre (vol, blend, bass/treble stack knob). The huge VFL active 'buckers sound very clean and modern. The pre is ok, not great.

17. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    I think i'd rather have my SR 506....those are amazing for the price...i hate pickguards though....:meh:

18. I like the look of it. Looks like some modulus basses I've seen with pickguards.

I'm soooo over black basses though.

19. Axcelerators are very nice in my book. I own a gold 4 string and I love it!!! Everyone who's played mine is impressed by it's playability. You can get the action so low it should be a crime thanks to the little neck tilt screw on the back of the neck plate.
    "electronics similar to the USA Cirrus basses all for $299!!!!"
    Well sort of, I think the pickups are the same but the pre is not. They're 2 band with volume,blend and a stacked bass and treble, quite nice actually. Mine is one of if not THE most slap friendly bass I've ever encountered. I have been watching this 6 string btw and want it but can't swing the green right now, too many family b-days in April.
    Btw I own a Cirrus 6, do I think the Axcelerator comes close to the quality? Not by a long shot BUT do I think it's a really good bass at a great price... HELL YEAH!!!!!