1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a combo that can be chained to a 15"...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by txbasschik, Feb 18, 2008.

1. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I'm tired of schlepping around my big ol' 4x10. And I'm not really happy with my SWR 2004 head, either.

So...I'm thinking...get a combo that can also be used with an additional 15" cab.

One of my local buddies has a Carvin rig that's pretty nice, but I'm not that in love with the sound, overall. I'm considering Ampeg, or Fender. Any good recommends will be considered.

I'm playing mostly small and medium rooms, with the occasional big club. I don't own a DI box, but if I did, it would be a Sansamp.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Cherie :bassist:

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    you got bad G.A.S. :D I'd stick with your swr head for now. you should be able to find a used RBI for less than the cost of a new head or combo, about $200 or less. and separates are easieer to carry around.

if you get the RBI it had the sansamp DI built in...

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    What's an RBI, please? :-}

I know for certain that I've got to get rid of my too-heavy 4x10. Its not nice to my back, and no one likes to have to help me with it, 'cause its so danged heavy.

Cherie :):bassist:

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I see you've probably read the RBI site, but I used my RBI with an SWR bass 350 amp head. I bypassed the swr preamp and fed the rbi into the poweramp. it warmed up the tone significantly. ironically the 350 HAD a tube preamp, but the RBI gave me a tighter/more compressed tone, yet it was warmed by the 'sansamp' circuit.

you could also feed the RBI into the guitar input if you want to experiment, but you run a risk of overloading the swr preamp if you don't understand the voltage levels running through all the different cords...gtr>rbi>swr>cab. ok, I guess its not that complicated, but the simpler setup was directly into the power section of the amp if you can, or through the "return" loop.

good luck with the hubby.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Cherie... please don't tell me you haven't been to Bass Emporium. please please please.

i'd say get an Ashdown! even the MAG series has an addition speaker out. and the tone is killer!
    but go to BE, and see what you can see.

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    If I end up getting the RBI, I may ask you some questions about setup, if that's ok. Want to be sure I get the best sound out of it I possibly can. :)

Thanks!

Cherie :hyper:

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    My timing sux. Every time I'm available to go into the city and shop, they're closed. I look on their web site a lot, though.

I wish we had a good store out north. The Cedar Park location for Strait is, well, awful. I guess they're fine if you're buying an instrument for high school band, or if you need guitar strings, or a piano. But their selection of basses and gear for such stinks. Even their bass string collection is pathetic.

They don't even carry bass cabs at all!

Ashdown, huh? I have to keep my cost under $1,000. Maybe I can find a used one?

Cherie

8. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    I just picked up a GK 1x12 Neo combo here in the classifieds. It is killer on it's own and when I use one of my Bag End S15's as an extension cab it is just sublime.

9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i can dig that. i hate hate hate hate hate hate hate Strait Music.
    my suggestion... try and make a saturday of it. (you'll need all day in that store!)
    heck, i may even be there when you show up!
    you know you wanna! :) 183, to Burnet, to Heaven!!:D

10. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    My GK 1001RBII is not exactly light, but the wheels and tow handle make up for it most of the time. For outdoors or bigger venues I stack it on top of an old EVM 15" Silly amounts of power and headroom.

JKT

11. I ditched my 4x10 cab this past year too. Just too damned heavy and overbearing.

Picked up an Eden Nemesis here with 2-10s in it. Now I can use it as a combo, or take it with my 1-15 and have a nice rig. If I'm playing a show gig that just wants bottom, take my 1-15 and Ashdown 307 head.

Z

12. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses

Out of curiosity, what don't like about the SWR head? I have had a love hate relationship with their stuff for years.

JKT

13. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Hey Cherie,

Not to try and complicate things, but do you get enough volume from your swr 2004?? I just realized its only 200w into 4 ohms. but I'd still suggest moving forward with the RBI you might also keep your eyes open for a used power amp. something that can be bridged into, say, 500w into 4ohms or more.

THATS IF YOUr not happy with your volume, but the RBI will give you that future option.

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Take a look at the GK 1001/700RB-II combos. The 210 looks very nice and you could add a 15 if you need it.

15. Budder84

Budder84

Feb 18, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Just picked up an Eden Nemesis 210 combo as well, sounds Euphoric! Ive been running it through a 410 cab but it isnt giving me the low end im looking for. Im looking for a solid 15" cab to run too with some serious low end but decent response. Anyone have any suggestions?

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    This is a great option. I use this rig in head/cab format. It's enough on its own for small venues, and the tone is full and clear. I have no doubt it would be monstrous paired with a 1x15. (For some inexplicable reason, I've never tried it with my Epifani PS 115.) I've seen these on closeout at GC for $650, which is a steal. Or call rmcaudio.com.

17. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    If I can get someone to look after Mom for me, I'll plan a trip. I'll PM you when I get to go to Bass Heaven...err...Emporium! LOL!

Yeah, I'm so over Strait. I get the feeling, every time I go into that store, that they wish bassists would just curl up and die to make room for more keyboards. :rollno:

Cherie

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Volume's great...suuuuuuper loud! But the tone...meh. I can't get an overdriven sound without it sounding clangy, and when I try for a woodier, warmer tone, it sounds muddy to me. There's just no wiggle room with that head...unless I get that RBI.;)

19. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    With the bass set about 2 p.m., the treble a bit higher, and the mids around 9 a.m., I get a pretty good, punchy tone. But to get a more growling, overdriven sound, or a nice, warm, woody sound, well, the tone starts to suck. Clangy, instead of growling, and muddy, instead of warm. Meh. Too middle-of-the-road, you know? Plain vanilla.

Cherie

20. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Nice! They have some of those Eden 2x10s at Bass Emporium...I saw 'em online. Must check 'em out!