Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a crash course in theory.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by popinfresh, Feb 2, 2006.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, i'm doing my final year of VCE (last two years of high school in Aus) and am kinda stuck with music. Last year I did it, but with a bad teacher and no real inspiration I learnt pretty much, nothing. lol.

So, i'm at a stage where I know very basic theory. I can't site read, though I know the notes on a staff. I know basic scales such as major and melodic, harmonic and natural minors. I don't really understand the whole modes thing and all. My aural skills arn't crash hot either.

So what I basically need is all the things to get me up to where I should be as quick as possible. Does anyone have links to sites or pages or any good books that will help me out? The simpler they are the better it is for me to understand first off, lol.

I'm getting a proper teacher and such and using the teacher at school for help as well, but basically, i need all the help I can get.

Thanks guys :)

P.S. Sorry for the post being poorly written, i've had no sleep in the last couple days and got a massive headache, i'm off to sleep now!

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  3. Wow that is a nice site. The most important things I found on it were:

"Diatonic root movement of a 3rd is therefore seen as a weak progression. Chord III is often used as a substitute for chord I.

In jazz the II chord is more common than the IV chord as a subdominant, but it also functions very commonly as a lead in to the dominant V chord. IV is very common as a subdominant in blues.

The dominant quality of a chord is usually defined by thetritone (flattened 5th) interval which creates what is traditionally thought of as a dissonance or a need to resolve to a chord that sounds more at rest.

In practice any chord that is not a tonic chord can be preceded by a secondary dominant.

It is almost impossible to provide a complete set of rules regarding what sounds good or bad. The following are conventionally considered to be wrong notes (sometimes called avoid notes), unless used as passing notes.

A 4th over any major chord (unless it is an 11th or sus 4 see ex. 4e)
    A major 3rd on a minor chord
    A minor 3rd (#9th) or minor 7th on a major 7th chord
    A root note as a sustained note over a major 7th chord
    A b9th on a major 7 or minor chord
    A b6th on a major 7 or minor chord
    A major 7th on a minor 7th or (dominant) 7th chord
    These rules may not apply to certain ornaments

A bebop scale is created by adding either:

a major 7th to a Mixolydian mode
    a major 3rd to a Dorian mode
    a #5th or b6th to a tonic scale

In other words a Dorian mode functions purely as a scale by itself, not a relative of the major that starts on the second degree. A good exercise is to write out and learn all the modes in all keys as relative and parallel."

I'm not quite sure I understand the 'rule' of not sustaining a root over a major 7 chord. Can someone help me out on this one?

4. Go to Libby Bee's site and click on "Lessons" in the left frame (take no notice of the warning in the main page).

- Wil

5. WayCoolJr

WayCoolJr

Jan 20, 2006
    Activebass.com is extremely helpful. They have interactive lessons. Just search for what you wanna learn and there you go.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Thanks guys, those last few sites should be really helpfull..

Got a bit lost on the first link, lol. But I'll work up to that ;) The walking bass page wass good.

7. what exactly is a crotchet and a quaver, lol

8. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    mmm theory, take a semester in high-school and two semesters in college and you are set for a while (that is where I am). I want to get into more jazz theory but that will come later.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, that's what I might be planning to do. I was thinking about a University (your college?) course in music, not sure wether i'd want to go performance or composition though... I don't think i'm good enough for composition :p