1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a custom made Fender-like decal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonebrulee, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Looking for somebody who can make a custom waterslide decal based on the classic Fender design for an early 60's P-Bass. The design would be the same as a vintage decal shown below except instead of the script "Fender" it would say "Precision", and then the words "PRECISION BASS" below the script would be changed to "ELECTRIC BASS".

dpbass.jpg

I'm thinking a decal like this could become popular because it retains something close to the beautiful graphic element of the original logo - important to the look of the guitar - without the false claim of being a Fender product.

Thoughts?

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Well, at least you've given out some ammunition for people that know how to make waterslide decals..... way to go ;) j/k.... But seriously, if you want to make w/s decals, just order the paper and do it. Get some photoshop skills, there are many here that do.

http://www.decalpaper.com/

3. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Subscribed. I'd like a P-bass decal with my last name instead of "Fender."

PM me if you've got the "skills" to do this, because I don't. (I can't fix my car either. I like to leave things to the experts.)

4. Well.. here's the thing Jason: I actually DON'T want to make a decal - if I did I would have posted a question asking about making a decal, right?

<start rant - panties bunched>

Sorry, but it's pretty dang annoying how often people feel comfortable jacking your thread in the service of teaching you a "lesson" you didn't ask for.

<end rant - panties unbunched>

What I'd really like is to find somebody who is very skilled with Photoshop/Illustrator and making high quality decals and paying to have one made. And like I mentioned, I think a well-made version of this design could be a popular offering for those who make and sell them.

5. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    i would love this! i'd like a jazz one with my name instead of "fender", but in the same script as you describe! plus the "jazz bass" as well. that'd be awesome!:bassist:

6. If someone knows where I can find the Fender fonts I can probably make them!

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    I'm always of the opinion that if someone did it, you could too.

I didn't feel like I was jacking your thread at all. I don't recall "teaching" you a lesson on anything either, I think I learned something though......

Have a nice day and good luck on your search :)

8. No, no, of course you didn't feel like you were.

Guess it's just a learnin' bonanza all 'round!

Thanks, man - right back at 'cha :D

9. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
  10. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Not everybody has the DIY thing going for them in every field. I like DIY with a lot of things, but for a decal, I'd also prefer to buy one from someone who knew what they were doing.

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Well, gee..... you sure told me :)

12. tdvt

tdvt

Oct 13, 2008
    Vermont
    I've gotten quite a few from this guy over the years. Best to go through his eBay auction. Very nice quality. He was also happy to make design changes for me to get things how I wanted.

LINK

tedecasteravatar.jpg

13. Thanks tdvt - now THAT's helpful! Anybody know of other high-quality decal makers? tdvt's prolly right - just contact 'em directly.

14. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Like This?

[​IMG]

Obviously in a much higher res..

15. I couldn't see the link, but George does mine. Might be the same guy as posted above. He posts on several forums, mainly guitar forums. Shoot me a pm if you like and I'll send you his email address.

DSCF1846.jpg
    DSCF1723.jpg

16. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    waterslide paper and make one...

17. Right, that's the general idea. But the hard work would be to draw the script so it matches the letter-forms of the original Fender. I know DIY folks think in terms of using some kind of Fender "font", but the script in the original Fender logo isn't really a "font" - it's a drawn piece of art.

18. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Good thread! (My Nash has been looking a bit too plain since I took the fake Fender decal off.)

One question to those in the know: it looks like the genuine Fender decals & better fakes have some gold effect inside the main logo lettering. Can that be achieved with the inkjet paper?

19. Awesome idea! Yet more helpful advice from another helpful dude! :)

It's so helpful when folks help me to understand that the question I asked wasn't actually the question I meant to ask!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020