Need a decent drum machine.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bkchang79, Sep 14, 2002.

1. I'm looking for a drum machine strictly for practicing. I'm not going to record with it so I don't want a fancy one. I know Boss is one of the best, but I can't afford 200 plus for a drum machine. I was looking at the Alesis SR16. Any thoughts on it?
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to Misc.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've only ever used it as a MIDI device, I have no idea how it works on it's own as a standalone unit. Probably fine. The drum sounds are really good. If you have a good computer you may want to look into the computer solution, though unless you're using a professional sound card it will not sound as good a dedicated sound machine. Depending on your needs the difference in sound may not be an issue. You can get fine drum sounds out of a good soundcard in a computer.
  5. How about a used Dr. Rhythm, say a Dr-550? It's one of the older models (the newer version fo these is a DR-770), but still a great drum machine - has ample memory for making your own patterns and linking patters together to sequence full drum tracks for a song.

They go for decent prices on Ebay. IMO, more drum sounds than the Alesis SR-16. This might or might not be important to you depending on what you are looking to do.

For example:

Best of luck with your purchase.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The DR 550 is not comparable to the SR16. Lower quality sounds and not as many of them. However, for practicing and light duty recording the DR550 is entirely adequate. Easy to program, too.
  7. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I know that zoom stuff tends to get slated on this forum, bu theor drum machines are another kettle of fish. I have the RT323 and which I driectly compared with a friends ageing SR16, and am very pleased with it. Lots of preset kits, plently of genuinly useful preset patterns, and easy programming. Plus 2 kits at once plus bass lones decent midi support, ergnomic pads, footswitch support, 4 outs, and smartmedia backup...shiney flasing lights.
    the other 2 lesser models have the same great sounds, but less presets (kits and patterns) an only midi in (i think).