Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a decent gig setup for around $600...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heretic, Nov 17, 2004.

1. I'm dumbfounded... there are so many choices. I really need something that can cut through in a metal/thrash band. Am I better off getting a combo or amp+cab? I have never had any experiences with ampheads or anything... I dont really understand anything about ohms or watts (stupid noob :crying: ) With that... give me some options. Keep in mind the price range though...

:help:
    THANKS

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I suggest buying used. You get the most bang for the buck. Matter of fact, sethlow3 has an awesome Trace Elliot AH400SMX head for sale for $350. Trust me, thats a steal! These heads sold for over 4 times that new and will be the loudest 400 watts you have ever heard! Oh if I only had the money :crying: He also has a matching 1x15 cab for $300. Maybe he might make you a deal ? ...Or, you could buy an Avatar B115H for $281 shipped or the B212 for $311 shipped, both brand new to go with that head.

Alot of people won't like this next suggestion. On the cheap, brand new, I would buy:

Behringer BX3000T 300watt head (around $200-229, shop around for the best price, local I can get it for $180)
    Avatar B212 ($311) 4 ohm version to get full power out of the Behringer

Grand Total:
    $540

Ofcourse this is assuming you don't have the time to save up for pricey gear.

This would be a good "starter" rig. You would have some good volume with a decent tone. Later, you can use the Avatar in a pre/power setup and really rock out! Then the Behringer can be your practice/backup amp.

All I can really say is this: Do alot of reading/researching about equipment, the "sound" your looking for, and most of all, actually go out and try every piece of equipment in your price range, used and new. I know you can't try the Avatars out but there are way too many guys here at TB that use them and swear by them. Good luck. :)

Oh yea, I put links to all the stuff I mentioned as well!

3. assuming you want new stuff at good prices, get poweful 210 combo and add ext cab later when you get funds.

yorkville XS 400 210t- most bang for buck: power and tube preamp

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=15&id=262

ashdown mag combo-most bang for buck and warmth, less power than yorkie but good name for bass.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDMAGC210T

peavy bam- ??? others on TB like this

gk 1001RB- harsh tone/requires tweaking. you may like it though. glorified peavey, IMO.

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

they have specials with ashdown

5. good point. 410 cab and 300 watt ashdown head for 600 would be great.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The Ashdown combo would be nice if he could afford another cab to go with it. He would only be at 8 ohms and that might not cut through in a thrash metal band. If he is competing against two guitarist with 100w half-stacks and a loud drummer, he would have problems.

Heretic, are you in a band currently and if so, what are you up against equipment wise?

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nothing stupid about being new to the world of amps
    here's some info on ohms and watts
    ohms thread

8. Right now its only me and a guitarist... I think he has a Crate with two 10's... not sure about wattage. I am almost sure he will be upgrading soon. We are currently looking at a few drummers though... couldn't tell you what they play :meh:

Thanks for all the help guys... I will keep all of them in mind. Keepum coming.

9. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    You can always buy my Peavey Bam 210. It's on ebay right now and it would be in your price range and would be a great gigging/practice combo 350 watts and if you add an ext cab 500 watts!!

Bam 210

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just bought an Ashdown MAG300H head with a 4 ohm Avatar B212 cabinet, will give me 305 watts or somethnig.

Cost me $600. IMO thats the best way to go.

OR get one of teh Ashdown combos.

11. HMMMMM, that looks nice but I dont have the money right now...

I also think it is best to go with the amp/cab setup. I think I will go with the Avatar B410 Delta and the Ashdown Mag 300H. The lowest I could find the Ashdown for was $299 w/ free shipping.

Avatar B410 Delta + Ashdown Mag 300H = good?

Also, should I get the cab in 4 or 8 ohms? I may add a 115 or something later.

Again, thanks for all the help! :hyper:

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That setup sounds good. Basicaly like mine except different speaker config on the cab. Thats a good price for the head as well. If you plan on adding another cab id get 8 ohm. I got 4 ohm bc i dont expect to be adding a cab.

13. The ashdown and 212 is probably his best shot. I do not know about the trace head. I liked the quatra valve ones. Most speed metal groups i have seen live have no audible bass to speak of. The double bass drums beating at 180 bpm, coupled with the marshall stacks is hopeless.

Most speed metal guitarists I have seen purposely try to drown everyone out. just my experience though. intonation or tone? forget it. nobody will hear your bass except you, and that is if your lucky.

14. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Hey angelopb,you need any gigs? I am booked solid thru
    Valentines day, and still have offers coming in. PM me
    if interested.

sorry to hi-jack,back to biz :)

15. when did you order? i am getting kind of inpatient and it is not even mine.

16. o.k. i will send PM. thanks.

17. Well I have to say that most of the music we have been making is more of a thrash/death metal mix... the are some moderate to extremely slow parts but we always speed thing up. I can definitly be heard in the breakdown parts as I am usually not playing the same thing as guitarist... also with only one guitarist there is a decent amount of solo bass parts.

What what will the 212 offer that the 410 wont?

18. not sure- maybe more of a warm low- end that blooms nicely. It is a compromise between a 10 and a 15.

I would check out the "efficiency" ratings and see if there is any difference. The higher the better.

but the tens will probably be easier to track with the bass drum, which is really important for the music you play.

19. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    sent you a PM with a one night gig for $100.
    And I sent 4 more gigs to your e-mail.

As far as the Death metal, you need to move alot of air,look
    for a used 2X15 cab. :)

20. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    I throw down with Kelly Lee on the Avatar/Behringer set up. the Behringer is loud if nothing else. It is powerful enough that you could even get away with an 8 ohm 4 x 10 for a while and save up for another cab down the line and have a big ole stack. But the 4 ohm Avatar with the Behringer would be a winner, sound as good as things costing three times as much.

Ivan Mike's discussion of ohms etc. is the best I have run across. Thanks Ivan Mike if you are reading.