1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a decent set of lower tension strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by basspraiser, Jun 7, 2018.

1. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I y'all...

I recently came over to the dark side from the electric forum.

I purchased a used ( and cheap) Christopher 3/4 that I am having a blast playing...

However.... The strings are too high tension for me... Playing in thumb position is extemely difficult (nearly impossible) due to the tension... Yes..I need to strengthen my fingers etc... But I think I would have better technique and definition with lighter tension strings.

I also believe ( maybe I'm wrong?) That a lighter tension string would make the E sound better... Right now it is kind of a dull "thud" no matter what note I play... Yes... There is a bit of definition to the notes but not much.

The bass is from 2006 and I highly suspect the strings are just as old.

They have red thread...

I plan on mostly pizzicato playing.

I would like a brighter Sound and medium to long sustain.

I don't want to...or need to spend alot of money on strings but I do know double bass strings are more expensive.

I have never tried gut strings so I have no idea on those.

Let's assume I want to stay steel for now.

Suggestions?

Thanks much!

2. Spirit Weich or Solos at orchestra pitch, Evah Pirazzi Weich, Velvets, or one of the Innovation sets.

3. Get a good setup.

4. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Ok so I am guessing you have Spirocore Mediums. if they are red at the ball end and at the peg end then they are spriocore medium tension. I started playing on these and still play them. They are high tension strings and probably the highest tension I'll ever play so I understand where you're coming from.

I would suggest lower tension strings PLUS a setup. If you haven't brought your bass to a luthier then you should and just get it setup. Maybe your bass is hard to play because it hasn't been setup properly. A setup really matters. IMO more than on electric bass.

For lower tension strings I suggest spirocore weich which is the ligher tensions of what you already have. They are the standard for pizzicato playing.

Seriously get spiro light stings (Sometimes called Spirocore Weich) and that will give you a good basis to play. Helped a friend put them on her bass 5 years ago and they're still on.

5. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    +1 on the setup. Much more important than the strings.

6. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

Eurosonics lights and ultra lights are very low tension, but have more of a old school sound.

7. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    All:

THANK YOU for the info.

I agree on the set up as well....just need to find a capable luthier nearby.

I don't believe my electric luthier (name of a new band? :) ) knows much about uprights.

8. You seem to be in the Chicago area, so there’s definitely some great luthiers around there. Some of the talkbass members from Chicago should point you in the right direction.

Randy Ward likes this.
  9. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    If you're in the Chicago area there should be a good luthier around. I wouldn't take an upright bass to an electric bass Luther. Same as taking a cello to a guitar shop.

maybe @SamuelHarris can suggest someone in the area.

10. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Helicore Hybrid lights would work and a lot cheaper...

11. JimmyT

JimmyT

Nov 28, 2004
    Seatlle
    Being from Chicago originally myself, and noting your Green Bay Packer affiliation, might I sugguest you try Spirocore Starks

Steve Boisen and Seanto like this.
  12. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I don't know if thats a joke but Spirocore Starks are very VERY high tension. I don't recommend them. Few people play a full set because of the tension.

13. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    Spriocore Weich would be a nice starting place, along with a good setup!

14. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Lot's of GREAT info...thanks much.

Keep it coming.

Maybe if I find a great luthier he/she will have some ideas as well.

15. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    A bit of research found these:

Chicago Bass Works Home
    SMR Double Basses http://www.smrdoublebasses.com/
    Sonksen Strings Sonksen Strings | Repairs / Restorations / Sales / Bows

Has anyone dealt with any of these before?

From looking at ALL of their sites, I feel like I may have to come in and leave through the Alley with my Christopher! Obviously they are used to working on/with much better instruments.

Since I am a true beginner, I am looking for a patient person who can help me and not take advantage...

Thanks in advance.

16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Spiro Weich (steel) and Zyex Light (composite) are my suggestions.

Steve Boisen and geoffbassist like this.
  17. basspraiser

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    So...(sorry) - what is a "composite" string?

18. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    In thumb posistion, a lower tension string may need higher action and thus get harder to play in thumb. Depending on your sound ideal in the lower range, I would consider a stiff string like spiro middle or flex deluxe but with very low action and a superbly shaped fingerboard.
    My practise bass actually has this setup with FD a few MM over the fingerboard while my workbass has fairly high action. I find a softer string and the subsequent higher action to be more difficult in thumb.

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    @basspraiser you probably totally got this, but the above is a facetious recommendation for strings that could cripple you, because you are a Packers fan. Does your bass have adjuster wheels on the bridge? Also, to help people help you, post a couple of pictures of the bass, including the tailpiece silks, silks in the pegbox, bridge, and a side view of the string heights at the end of the fingerboard on the E side. Information is power!

@Eric Hochberg - do you have a recommendation for a luthier in the area?

Sam Dingle likes this.