1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a device to record practice sessions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gopherbassist, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    I'm reaching a point where I feel that to get better, I need to hear my self play at a time other than in the moment. So, I've come to a point where I need to be able to record my self. I don't own a computer, and don't plan to buy one soon, so DAWs and things of that nature will be of no use to me.

It needs to be something that recording and playback will be simple, and though I don't have a computer now I will have one eventually, so something that has some kind of expandable memory would be good. That way if I choose to I can import recordings in a DAW to explore ideas.

I'm posting this in effects because my thoughts turn to looper pedals. I'm planning under the assumption that there is some kind of pedal that with a memory expansion will have unlimited banks, and in the hopes that there is something with a simple but robust interface so that finding things that I recorded in the past will be easy, or at least not user unfriendly.

However, if my assumption is wrong, I am welcome to suggestions of self contained recording devices. I remember seeing ads for ZOOM things that had 1/4" inputs and stereo mic's a few years ago, so if the market has supported and improved that type of thing, feedback on such devices would be good.

My preference would be something that I can keep in my signal chain so that it's easy to play back things through different gear if I ever have such inclination. Thank you in advance for all suggestions and feedback.

2. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for, but I use a Tascam GT-R1 for such things. Very happy with it.

3. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    I use a Zoom H4n. I often use the 4-track capability, which means the two built-in mics plus two externals mics. You can use the line-in in place of the latter to go after the soundboard or so.

4. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I got the Zoom Q3HD for recording jam sessions and it makes good recordings but editing them is a pain in the ass. I think the H4n would be much better for that, especially since you can record the band through the mics and yourself though a line input at the same time.

5. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    As mentioned above, the Zoom products are really decent for this application. My band uses the Zoom H1 for recording our practices, and I can't say enough good about it- it's really cheap and sounds really good!
    We've also tried the H2 which was decent as well (Chaddycakes seems to like it well enough), and found the response and balance of the H1 to be more natural and preferable. YMMV.

6. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Thank you for the feedback everyone, I will consider what you guys have said before making my purchase. More suggestions are also welcome.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have a Zoom Q3 and a Sony PCM-M10. I believe that I get the best recordings from the Sony. Battery life is about 40 hours on the Sony versus maybe 4 hours on the Zoom (40 hours, that's not a mistake). The Sony also has 4 gigs of internal memory, and a slot for added memory.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Wife/Girlfriend?

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My band had been using a Zoom that our vocalist purchased. It was incredibly helpful in retaining ideas we'd otherwise forget after jamming.

We've recently switched over to the luxury of a more extensive mic'ing setup, but the Zoom definitely is a winner for ease of use.

10. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    How would one use these to record?

11. Borrow her phone. Some have semi decent mic's.

12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I have a Tascam DR-05 that I got for 50 bucks at a crazy sale Guitar Center had (reg $99). Might look at it or the DR-07 mkII

13. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Mar 6, 2010
    I'd save yourself a lot of money by using a phone. Mine is full of old recordings of ideas I've had whilst jamming. If it ain't broke don't fix it and all that.