Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a diagram!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Da Funk Docta, Sep 3, 2004.

1. ok, i found out my pickups are only 2 conductors unlike its 4 string counter part. so i need a wiring diagram for volume(push pull)/balance/tone. I want it so that when the blance is full on bridge, that it will have full volume at series when i pull the volume. I have heard that the only way to do this is to have it so that the balance pot has the neck on full, but i want it the other way around. I'll take either one, I'll also take V/V/T, so if anybody can provide me with a diagram, it would be definitly greatly apreciated!!!!
    thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    here's the standard series/parallel diagram for V/V/T. I don't have a V/B/T series/parallel diagram to hand

You can do what you ask with regards to the blend, but you need to wire the series/parallel mod in a different way - making the bridge the master instead of the neck.

In the standard mod, the neck hot is always connected to vol pot lug and bridge ground is always to ground. In series mode it becomes the master hot and the neck ground and bridge hot are connected to create the series connection. I guess you could change the mod to make the bridge hot always connected to bridge vol pot, and neck ground always to ground. You could then have the neck hot/bridge ground become connected in series mode. Note I haven't tried this myself, but can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

3. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Here's a V/V/T diagram with bridge as the master. Again, I haven't tried this but can't think why it wouldn't work.

4. I did the first diagram, but for some reason, my tone pot dosnt work, and my bridge volume dosnt have hot output, and when i pull out the switch, it stays the same.... any ideas?

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, it's hard to say without seeing what you've done.

Check your connections:
    If you look at the dpdt switch, with the vol pot on top, lets number the lugs 1 to 6
    1 = top left, 2=top right
    3=middle left, 4=middle right
    5=bottom left,6=bottom right
    1 and 2 should be connected with a wire
    neck ground should go to 3
    bridge hot should to to 4
    5 should go to ground
    6 should go to bridge vol pot middle lug
    neck hot should go to neck vol pot middle lug
    bridge ground should go to ground.

if that doesn't solve it, post some photos.

6. ok i wired it, and i put in an old volume pot for the tone because my capacitor broke, and i have the left lug solderd to ground. so i have no cap and i have where the cap is supposed to be solderd to ground.... would that make it so that i have 2 volumes that dont go down all the way and have the supposed tone knob be a master volume, and when i pull up my neck volume, it wont go into series if my bridge pickup is on, and it dosnt really sound diffrent, so i'm not sure if its actually in series at all. would haveing my tone pot soldered like this do this to my controls? would capacitor make all the diffrence? it'd be nice to know. thanks alot for all the help mr wilson!

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, please do two things for me.

1. Bypass the tone pot, and wire straight to jack from your bridge volume pot
    2. Take photographs of what you've wired, without pictures it can get into an endless cycle of 'try this','try that'...

8. it works perfectly without the tone knob...

also, i tryed unsoldering the first lug from the ground, and now i have a tone knob that just dosnt do anything, and both volumes work fine
    ill post some pictures a little later today
    thanks again

im getting kind of scared about my green wire comeing from my pickup... it's getting a little short becuase ive been needing to clip it a little bit... what can i do to save it if it does get to short?

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you can just solder another length of wire onto the current end of the green wire - then cover the join with shrink tubing or electrical tape

10. thanks for all the help... seriously!!!! it works great with the .47 uf cap i put on it. the only thing im wondering is if its normal that when the bridge volume is on all the way while its in series, will it not work? becuase currently, i pull it up, and i hear no audible diffrence in my sound, and when i turn up the bridge all the way, it cuts the sound.
    again, thanks for all the help!!!!
    Stew

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    that's certainly not what I would expect to happen. If you take some photos, that'll help me and anyone else debug/diagnose.