Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a drum beat to make a good bassline?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DraVenSF, Jan 30, 2006.

1. I was wondering, does a bassist need some kind of drum beat to come up with a good bassline? Or can a bassline be done alone, then add drums later? I was just curious. I find it way easier to come up with a bassline when I have drums playing, than when its just me alone practicing.

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I think it depends on the person in question and what their 'musical upbringing' is. I myself come up with my best bass lines while actually playing the drums. :)

3. I think that depends on how well you groove in isolation.

4. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

I usually play the drums in my head using my teeth. A little wierd, but it helps you feel how the groove is gonna be.

5. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    haha i do that too, dentist here we come.

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I was in a band doing a lot of originals. When the guitar player wrote a song he'd give the drummer and I each a tape independently. When we got together again to pratice the song for the first time, both the drummer and I had our parts roughed out independent of each other.

Sometimes he'd change what he was doing to accomade my bass line. Other times he'd stand firm and keep playing what he was doing. Most times, we just melded into each other.

IMHO, a good bass line is part of the song. It doesn't have to be a killer bass line that ends up getting the bassist a co-writer credit (i.e. Anthony Jackson on "Money" by the O'Jays.)
    But it can really add to the song. "Saturday Night's Allright" by Elton John just came on the radio as I'm writing this. That tune (and so much by the Dee Murray era of Elton John) has a bass line that takes the song up a notch.

7. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I can do either, BUT I did notice one thing. My style becomes very different depending if I'm alone (most of the time), with a drummer(ocassionally) or if I'm with my buddy who's a guitarist(sort of often). For me writing good stuff is a really tedious and lengthy task, if it doesn't sound 'just right' I'll do it over and change stuff until it is.

8. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    You should be able to make a good bassline without a good drum beat, but with one it makes it one hell of a lot easier.