Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a favor of one of our EU members...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Mar 22, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been interested in the BassMute for some time now, but am suspicious of the prices quoted by Fodera (the authorized US distributor). I was told originally they would be in the $120 range, and now they're quoting $190 or so, depending on the version.

[​IMG]

Have any of our EU members ever gotten a quote directly from Ellio Martina? Does it compare to the $190 I'm being quoted locally? I'm specifically interested in a four string chrome model...

http://www.elliomartina.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ...couldnt you just use your hand?

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What, are you trying to be Bruce Jr.? ;)

Let's not get that whole argument going again, m'kay? Suffice it to say that I don't want to palm mute my way through entire songs - it's too limiting. To me. IMNSHO.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Haha, sorry I didnt realize I was Brucifying your thread. Im assuming that this was already discussed then? I see where your coming from though. Good luck with your quest.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I saw a used one on bass gear I think

6. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    H.D.
    I paid $150 for mine from Fodera about 5-6 months ago. It's a black 5-string model. Can't really help you on the actual direct price question.
    But I can say that the mute is great. It looks unobtrusive and is easy to switch on and off and adjust the foam-string tension (degree of mute) using an allen wrench. You get a really even muted sound across the strings because you can adjust for the fact that it takes a lot less pressure to mute the G string than the E or low B. For me it's way better than trying to palm-mute. Some guys can do that well. A guy in New Orleans I took a few lessons from could mute with his third finger while using only the first two fingers on the fretboard (like Rocco). I can do it for simple lines but I like being free to play my regular fingerings while using the mute. Good product!

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A used five string model popped up on TBL yesterday, which got me thinking about it again.

Thanks for the positive review! I've been a bit unnerved at the idea of buying one sight unseen.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think having some mechanical device is "too limiting" - learning to use your hands properly for muting gives you ultimate flexibility!!

Just an excuse for poor technique IMO ;)

9. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Check out page 62 of the new issue of Bass Player. Looks like Fodera bought out Ellio Martina and it's now the Fodera BassMute.

10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
  11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wow! That makes it very tempting to find a EU member to buy it for me and ship it here!

12. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    France is not part of the EU isn't it ? ;)

JP

PS: I'm leaving thursday for holidays. Keep in touch and we'll talk about it when I come back.

PS2: May I send you the bass mute attached to a JP Bass??? :D

13. so you want to send me some $$ so i can go buy that thingy and send it to you ?

no problem dude...