1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEED A FENDER AMERICAN JAZZ BASS HEADSTOCK

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by barcabass8, Jan 7, 2012.

1. barcabass8

barcabass8

Jan 7, 2012
    I have recently acquired an American Fender Jazz bass but the person I got it from replaced the original headstock with a custom one he bought. I am unable to get back the original neck. I need to find a fender headstock that won't completely "break the bank."
    Please help me!

2. What do you mean you need a headstock? If that's the case,you need a new neck. You can't replace just the headstock,unless it's a Bunker.

3. barcabass8

barcabass8

Jan 7, 2012
    sorry, that is what i meant. i need to find an original neck for the bass.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    try "strat-o-sphere" on ebay; they part out new fenders of various kinds.

5. barcabass8

barcabass8

Jan 7, 2012
    I cannot seem to find that seller on ebay. Help?

6. barcabass8

barcabass8

Jan 7, 2012
    Nevermind i found it. Anyone know where to get a cheap fender neck?

7. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    If you want a Made in USA neck, it's going to be $300 to $500 A Mexican can be found for $150 to $250 Basically, they are the same necks. All Fender necks are made in Carona, California. The US necks are the choice woods and the finish hand work that goes into it.

8. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    actually, the american standard, special, and newer hwy1 necks have graphite stiffeners, a different truss rod, and thicker headstocks, so not the same at all.

9. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1 to getting what you pay for here.

a cheap neck from mighty mite or whatever just leaves you pretty much going through a lot of work and hassle to end up with a squier.

for tone, stability, playability, and overall quality, the neck is way more important than the body.

10. merkaba22

merkaba22

Oct 25, 2009
    I wanted to follow up on the inclusion of "tone" in you lists of criteria -- I am somewhat surprised and want to be sure this is as I understand it.

Do you think there is a significant basis for thinking that swapping out the neck v. the body has a greater impact on the tone?