1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a Fender expert please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pjmuck, Mar 30, 2009.

1. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I own a '77 lefty Fender Jazz and I've been trying to get some info about some of the neck and body neck pocket markings.

First off, there is no date stamped on the heel of the neck. Was this common around this time period? The serial number S730378 appears on both the headstock and underside of the pickguard, and both match, however, so I have no reason to doubt the neck is legit.

Please see the pictures I've posted. Does anyone know what the circular green stamping means above the "J.Torres" stamping means? And how about the 4 digit "5064" code stamped in the neck pocket? There's also something stamped in blue below it but I can't read it.

Thanks

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The green circular stamp looks like an insptector's stamp (INSP).

Not sure about the 5604, maybe a paint code?

3. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Bump

Anyone else?

4. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Neck stamps were 7 digits stamped in red or green that faded but no neck stamp is not uncommon. You can also check the pot codes, solder joints and pickup date codes. J Torrez was a prolific neck stamper and would be correct for late 70s to early 80s.

Edit to add: I'm not an expert, but I play one on Talkbass.