Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a four string, help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seansbrew, Apr 10, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    O.K. fellas, heres the deal, I have been looking, and looking for the perfect four string and just cant seem to find it. Ideally, I would purchase a Modulus Q4 if I could afford a new one ( with the options I want). As some of you probably know, Modulus basses have gone up a great deal in price ( 2,750.00 for the Q4 I want with my options). I have played many basses and cannot find a bass that fits me or my needs.I want an aggresive modern sounding bass with all the basic perameters ( bass, mids, treble, highs, blend, active, pasive) I have a budget of around 2,200.00 ( plus or minus 200.00) and am thinking of having a bass built to my specs. I am waiting for a reply from Chris Stambaugh, I have visited his website and like what the way he approaches things. Anyway, is there any other luthiers that you could recomend for a custom build within my price range? It could be bolt on or neck thru, I just want someone who will taylor a bass to my specs without charging me 5,000.00 bucks.

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Many on TalkBass are nuts about Carey Nordstrand's work. http://www.nordstrandguitars.com

I've heard good things about Matt Pulcinella's basses too. http://www.mpguitars.com

Both could probably build you a sweet 4 at a reasonable price. I love the Stambaugh body shape.

EDIT: And there are likely plenty more as many TBers can attest to.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You actually have a tremendous number of choices in that price range, based on what you're looking for. There are probalby a dozen or more builders that are regularly mentioned here at TB that could easily get the job done for you in that price range, and probably a good half-dozen or so who would also be just as good that might not be a high-profile. For the price range you're in, I think that it should be relatively easy to find a builder who could accomodate you....and in fact, there are several options that would put you right at, or BELOW, your price point. :)

4. Are you sure you wanted to say:"I just want someone who will taylor a bass to my specs with charging me 5,000.00 bucks."
    If that's the case, you can have whatever you want.;)
    With that price range I would go for a Fodera VW classic.

5. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    OOOPs :eek: , your right, I meant without :)

6. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have to say, I am impressed with Carey Nordstrands sight as well, it will be hard to pick in the end.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Zon, Zon, bo-bon,
    Bananapana fo-fon,
    fee fie mo-mon,
    ZON!

8. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    O.K., there are two bass builders in the running so far, C. Stambaugh and C Nordstrand. I still haven't decided on anything as I have yet to speak to them personally, but of all the custom builders I have researched so far, they are floating to the top. I am impressed with both and am considering them at this time. For Stambaugh I am considering the double cutaway with my own custom specs. For Nordstrand I am considering the NJ deluxe, both look like mighty fine instruments. Any thoughts or commnets?