Need a four string, help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seansbrew, Apr 10, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    O.K. fellas, heres the deal, I have been looking, and looking for the perfect four string and just cant seem to find it. Ideally, I would purchase a Modulus Q4 if I could afford a new one ( with the options I want). As some of you probably know, Modulus basses have gone up a great deal in price ( 2,750.00 for the Q4 I want with my options). I have played many basses and cannot find a bass that fits me or my needs.I want an aggresive modern sounding bass with all the basic perameters ( bass, mids, treble, highs, blend, active, pasive) I have a budget of around 2,200.00 ( plus or minus 200.00) and am thinking of having a bass built to my specs. I am waiting for a reply from Chris Stambaugh, I have visited his website and like what the way he approaches things. Anyway, is there any other luthiers that you could recomend for a custom build within my price range? It could be bolt on or neck thru, I just want someone who will taylor a bass to my specs without charging me 5,000.00 bucks.
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Many on TalkBass are nuts about Carey Nordstrand's work.

I've heard good things about Matt Pulcinella's basses too.

Both could probably build you a sweet 4 at a reasonable price. I love the Stambaugh body shape.

EDIT: And there are likely plenty more as many TBers can attest to.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You actually have a tremendous number of choices in that price range, based on what you're looking for. There are probalby a dozen or more builders that are regularly mentioned here at TB that could easily get the job done for you in that price range, and probably a good half-dozen or so who would also be just as good that might not be a high-profile. For the price range you're in, I think that it should be relatively easy to find a builder who could accomodate you....and in fact, there are several options that would put you right at, or BELOW, your price point. :)
  4. Are you sure you wanted to say:"I just want someone who will taylor a bass to my specs with charging me 5,000.00 bucks."
    If that's the case, you can have whatever you want.;)
    With that price range I would go for a Fodera VW classic.
  5. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    OOOPs :eek: , your right, I meant without :)
  6. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have to say, I am impressed with Carey Nordstrands sight as well, it will be hard to pick in the end.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Zon, Zon, bo-bon,
    Bananapana fo-fon,
    fee fie mo-mon,
  8. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    O.K., there are two bass builders in the running so far, C. Stambaugh and C Nordstrand. I still haven't decided on anything as I have yet to speak to them personally, but of all the custom builders I have researched so far, they are floating to the top. I am impressed with both and am considering them at this time. For Stambaugh I am considering the double cutaway with my own custom specs. For Nordstrand I am considering the NJ deluxe, both look like mighty fine instruments. Any thoughts or commnets?