1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bearstripes, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Bearstripes

Bearstripes

Mar 16, 2013
    Looking for a mild fuzz to get a light, squishy buzz sound. Trying to get close to the tones on the Dan Auerbach albums "keep it hid" particularly the sound on "heartbroken in disrepair". I have tried and owned a ton of fuzz but can never get close to this sound. I know the bassist uses a prescription electronics depth charge but that is currently outta my budget.

What I have right now is a little big muff, a fuzz factory, a fuzz face/Octavio, a thorns peaker, a tone bender mk2, a rat and a boss od3. If anyone can think of any settings with any of these that would make my life so much easier.

The one pedal I'm looking at is a zvex mastotron but I don't know how close this will get me.

So... My search has become frustrating.

Help me out

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    well if you don't just do the right thing and get vegas532's pedal then look at octave up fuzzes in the brassmaster linage, or maybe superfuzzes as well:bassist:

3. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Not my pedal, just pointing it out. I already parted with one once, and I'm not doing it again! ;)

4. Bearstripes

Bearstripes

Mar 16, 2013
    You guys are each talkin octave up fuzzes which are great but I've owned two ( Octavio and tone machine) and they were each to wild to get the sound I'm talkin about. Like i dont know how to describe it other than not smooth .Ill check out a brass master or depth charge but I feel like octave is not what I'm lookin for.

5. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    There are zero tonal similarities between the Octavia and Tone Machine and the Brasmaster circuit. Hell, even the Malekko and the Depth Charge sound totally different!

6. Bearstripes

Bearstripes

Mar 16, 2013
    Bump for any other input

7. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    vegas thx for the free advertising man, I just stumbled across this thread:)

I sold the depth charge and went back to a swollen pickle. I use fuzz maybe 2% of the time. The pickle and the DC have plenty of sonic overlap to my ears...or at least enough that nobody is gonna notice and the real loud/real fast tunes they get used on. The pickle sounds damn good and it's 1/2 the price of the DC, so that's an easy call for an effect I use very rarely.

I can see the DC for the specific tone you're talking about though...it does have that "not smooth" quality compared to the pickle.