1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need a good amp for both bass guitar and upright bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mmjazzbass, Apr 14, 2010.

1. mmjazzbass

mmjazzbass

Jan 24, 2010
    I need a versatile amp that I can use for both upright bass and electric bass guitar. Any suggestions or recommendations? I'm posting this on both the double bass and bass guitar amp forums.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    any amp will do for both. i use an svt or b-15, but the key to playing both on an amp is to have a separate eq for the upright.

3. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    While Jimmy's correct that you can make any amp work, for the sake of upright I'd still avoid speakers with aluminum cones, and any amp designed to have an aggressive rock sound. It'll be hard to take the dirt or the clank out of an amp that leans that way.

I still think acoustic image is hard to beat for doubling--lots of power, neutral, ready to be dirtied or livened up with pedals...

The focus head with a nice quality cab (I'd suggest a fEarful 12/6 myself; they can't be beat for the money imo), or even just a simple ampeg cab if you need something cheaper.

4. mmjazzbass

mmjazzbass

Jan 24, 2010
    really my main goal is to have something that isn't gigantic (since i'll have to transport it with my upright bass and i'm using it for jazz gigs at small clubs) and allows for clarity of sound for the upright while still providing enough punch and volume for my electric bass (which i use to play rock in large clubs and bars). Right now I'm using a 50 watt Crate for my bass guitar that I bought for almost nothing used, and I just play acoustic on my upright. The Crate serves me adequately for what I'm playing on electric, but I'm looking for an upgrade on both instruments in the form of a single amp.

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    My bass teacher ran a gk400 RB into a a single 15 and it seemed to work fine for him... He said the sound was pretty natural and transparent... He had an upright suzuki, and a 6 string spector legend and 5 string yamaha...

To my ears I liked the sounds he got out of the electrics... the upright sounded ok too...

6. why not markbass?

7. cipruk

cipruk

Jan 18, 2010
    melbourne
    my mini amp, gk 150 MB(E/S/anything)
    some pros and known artists rely for this micro for years..

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    for a little amp, the genz benz shuttle series and the markbass combos are probably the top choices for most of us. they're small, light, powerful, and for such small cabs, move quite a bit of air.