1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need a good amp for both double bass and bass guitar

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mmjazzbass, Apr 14, 2010.

1. mmjazzbass

mmjazzbass

Jan 24, 2010
    I need a versatile amp that I can use for both upright bass and electric bass guitar. Any suggestions or recommendations? I'm posting this on both the double bass and bass guitar amp forums.

2. It would help to know what your requirements are, like:

-budget
    -volume requirements (usually I don't need as much stage volume for the type of groups where I'm playing DB)
    -size requirements (If I'm packing my DB into my car, I want to bring a smaller rig)
    -how do you amplify your DB: mic, pickup or combo?

I like to vary the size of my rig depending on how loud I need to be. I've got the genz benz shuttle 6, which I use with a single compact cab for upright, and add a second one when using electric bass. I use a tilt stand when I'm playing upright (especially in groups without drums) so I can keep my stage volume to a minimum. If I was starting over again, I'd probably try to simplify a bit and get a compact combo that tilts back w/o a stand to simplify, and use an extension speaker for electric.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Markbass makes a pretty decent range of products that are light weight and work well for both. The Mini CMD121P combo is a very versatile and powerful little combo. I would probably lean towards one of those(in fact if I had to do my current rig over I would almost certainly get one).

4. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    It would help to know what your requirements are, like:

-budget
    -volume requirements (usually I don't need as much stage volume for the type of groups where I'm playing DB)
    -size requirements (If I'm packing my DB into my car, I want to bring a smaller rig)
    -how do you amplify your DB: mic, pickup or combo?

What darjama said..............

5. msabp

msabp

Mar 24, 2007
    Gallien-Krueger makes some good combo amps that work well for both. But I'm actually in the same spot, I need a good amp that can do both. I can only speak for myself but I'd like something that work for a small jazz combo but will also hold it's own on a loud electric blues gig. I might want to have my cake and eat it too here, but something not huge but not tiny. As far as my budget is concerned I'm budgeting by looking for only one amp, but since I'm only getting one amp I want something that will last and be versatile (maybe in the $1,000.00 range). Again I can only speak for myself and I don't mean to put my preferences over mmjazzbass' but those are my thoughts and questions, maybe they'll help him to?
    -Thanks

6. mmjazzbass

mmjazzbass

Jan 24, 2010
    well, for DB, I just need something versatile, that will sound good whether I'm playing it quiet or loud (I play jazz in small clubs but occasionally would need my amp for a big band gig). For BG, I would need something that can play pretty loud and have a good punch. I play rock and funk in large bars and clubs and would need something pretty loud but not huge

7. I've had good results with my Ampeg Micro-VR head and 2x Ampeg SVT-210AV cabinets for upright bass and bass guitar.

Very portable. Plenty of sound. Good tone. Can't complain.

DSC01112.

8. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I'm getting good results with my Bergantino IP112. I use a simple mic pre. For upright I have used both Gage Realist and Fishman Full Circle pickups. The IP is a little heavy, but has a small footprint and sounds great for both with plenty of power.

9. bryprezcern

bryprezcern

Jun 5, 2007
    +1 MarkBass Mini CMD121P. Light weight, versatile and great sounding for both basses.

10. janmaat

janmaat

Feb 25, 2010
    Very happy with my Minimark as it's super portable and surprisingly loud. Reacts really fast and sounds great for both instruments - all problems solved just at once. Cool with the line out to PA. Works for pretty much everything that's an intimate gig until you'd play large venues or have amplified drums.

11. dunnobass

dunnobass

Mar 1, 2012
    Ditto on this, but using a Carvin MB-10 on top of one Ampeg SVT-210AV. Easy to carry/set up, very musical bottom end, good with Warwick $$ and Fender J.

Attached Files:

12. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I'm still an upright newbie but I bought my Mesa Buster 210 wedge in hopes it would be good for doubling and it worked out great. It sounds good to great on upright and awesome on electric. For some reason, it reminds me of a B-15 more than any other amp.

13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    It look likes Markbass is phasing out the F-1 & F-500 when it introduces the Big Bang, so you may be able to get a good deal on the remaining units. You'd have to get an A/B switch and do a quick EQ, if you were truly doubling, but most of the time, IME, IHHO we just need an amp that will work for either instrument, on gigs where we only actually use one or the other.

I like the tone qualities and EQ section of that little Ampeg PF 350, and they are pretty reasonable. Once again, it's a single channel amp. The Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 amps really have a stellar EQ section, for either instrument, these amps are light weight, sound great, and have plenty of power.

If you're really on a budget, the GK MB200 is the smallest, lightest amp I've encountered. It has a good DB EQ section and works great for EB. Apparently, the Aguillar Tone Hammer is also a nice DB amp. Just food for thought.

If I had the money for a two channel amplifier, then that's a priority for me, the EA Doubler has that, and different voicing on the individual channels, which gets you away from the A/B switch, external pre amps into the effects loop, and better EQ for each instrument.

Ric

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I use a Shuttle 6.0 into a Schroeder 2x12 with a tweeter in it, for both BG and DB. I like the Shuttle for DB because when set flat it sounds flat. A lot of BG amps are scooped by default.

Although I did a festival on DB at the weekend and just took my Fishman Bass Plat Pro and DI-ed straight out of that to the desk. Worked fine for FoH sound but I struggled to get an appropriate sound out of the monitors. If I'd been able to I would've taken my backline but it would have meant struggling through a lot of mud to get it to the venues...

The bigger problem on DB is finding a pickup that suits your bass. I am still experimenting and getting sick of it.

15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I may have answered this on the EB side, but I use a Carvin MB12 for both. Incredibly clean, neutral, relatively inexpensive, and has all the features any modern gigging amp needs to have. When I need the extra 1/2 octave extension, I have a small ported home-made cabinet with a Carvin 1X15 that I've had for years that I also use with both. Everybody in all of my bands I play with all love my tone. I've never been asked to bring anything larger or smaller, or different in tone or configuration.

As far as pickup, I use a Full Circle mounted "upside down" through an fdeck series 2 on the the front end of my amp, and it solves all problems with noise, linearity, feedback, etc.