Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a good amp for jazz band and other band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by melvin, Jun 14, 2001.

1. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    i need a good amp that i can use for my schools jazz band because im sick of their crap amp (i think its really a keyboard amp not a bass amp). the jazz band has around 20-35 people and i need the bass the be heard but not overpower and it should be able to get loud enough for open solos.

i also want to use it in my band which doesnt really have a style but i guess its kinda like punk/primus/rhcp. the guitarist has about a 80w amp and has been thinking about another one.

tops for spending is probably around $750. since im in a small town the only bass amps are peavys here and i dont like the ones here (ones a tko i think and i dont the other ones name) i will be in a town with a guitar center soon so i might be able to try some others out. amps ive thought of are gk 400rb/210 and a carvin pb200.

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    $750 max.? So close, and yet so far! I was going to suggest the Carvin RC210 combo. It makes for an excellent jazz amp all by itself (I've used mine this way), and you can add an extension speaker later for more bottom end with rock and other, louder styles. The RC210 runs about $830 with shipping in the US, and would probably serve you well for quite a long time. I have no experience with their ProBass 200, but it would probably be an improvement over what you have. You should also check out good used amps, if you can.
    - Mike

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    This is DEFINATLY a Peavey Combo 115 situation. 210 watts w/o external speaker cab, 300 watts with the external speaker cab.

You can check it out here: http://www.peavey.com/bassamps/combo115.html

It has a nice array of features...

I think many people would agree that this is one of the best combos in its price range... and perhaps one of the best combos period.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Anything with 100watts+ with a 15. I used a Ampeg FlipTop 70s SS Amp [real not reissue] & had tone & power to spare but this costs major $$$. In my experience 15s speak better for Jazz Band Style music & lets you occupy the territory you deserve :D . SWR WorkingMans 15 is i think [correc me if i'm wrong] $640 that has 160watts 200 w/ext. cab. Good Luck & buy something you can use for long time w/o killin your wallet.

5. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    thanks for all of the suggestions. im gonna try to get around to our music store and a guitar center and try to play the amps mentioned. i just learned that the amp i was using is 130w. so i know i dont need something over 300w.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i had an ampeg B-15 fliptop. heavy, loud, great sound, cost me 400 bucks.

as for that peavey combo - it's ONE HUNDRED POUNDS. no combo should weigh that much, period. i always recommend the hartke kickback for combo.

jason

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The peavey also comes with wheels, I believe. And has the credibility to go up to 300 watts. I don't think that's too much, I've never seen a combo of the same power weigh any less.

And I wouldn't suggest hartke... Hartke tends to have a very thin sound. I used to have the HA3500KE... I hated it... I have a Hartke practice amp too... I hate that also.

8. there's a 300 watt ashdown that's 1x10...

supposedly pretty light...

but i would suggest something along the lines of SWR, great stuff

9. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i think a gk 400rb/210 combo would be a great amp at the limit of your price range. possibly a gk 400 rb and a carvin 2x10.

check out the genz benz combo...dunno the model #...7000 or something? www.genzbenz.com

also check riks.com for nemesis stuff...

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    captainpabst, do have any experiance with the mentioned gk combo? im hoping to get to play it soon, but i dont know if itll be available to play. ive only played the 400rb head.

about that peavy combo: itd be nice to have but the amp weighs almost as much as me.

11. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I've tried the GK 400rb/210 combo and it just didn't suit my tastes. It lacked some punch and had almost no bottom end. I'd recommend trying a Nemesis 115 combo. It's 225 watts and can handle 300w (i think) w/ an ext. speaker. They usually sell for less than $750 in stores. But that's just my opinion....