1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a good+cheap Volume Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Din Of Win, May 11, 2010.

1. Hey all,

So i'm tired of using the volume knob on my bass, itself, for volume swells... What are my options for a decent Volume Pedal? I see the EB ones pop up used pretty frequently... how they be?

Also, should they be at the begining or end of the pedal chain?

Sorry for the ig'nance... of all the pedals i have utilized in my life, i've never messed with volume pedals :atoz:

2. amroach

amroach

Feb 11, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    I've got one of the Jim dunlop High Gain volume controllers, Good pedal, cost me about £59, Does the job, i have seen they've bought a new one out recently looks snazzy but its well of £100. i have it at the beginning of my pedal chain after my tuner, i tired it at the end of the chain once and i remember it doing something odd but i can't remember off the top of my head what the odd thing was.

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I love my EB, though I usually use it as an expression pedal. It works fantastically well for swells as well as just setting your level. Very sturdy, nice resistance on the sweep, a switch to change the curve of the sweep.

Where you put it depends on your board. If I used mine for volume purposes I'd put it before delay, but after everything else.

4. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Maybe you could build one yourself? It's just a pot in a pedal anyway, shouldn't be any electronics involved (I mean: no batteries 'n' such)

5. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    If you want your volume pedal to act closely to the knob on your bass, than put it at the beginning of the chain.

I have heard good things about the Boss active volume pedal. I have a Visual Sounds 10th anni Visual volume pedal, its active and I don't notice any tone suck. I am not using it now, so I thought about getting rid of it. If you do get the EB volume pedal, I would recommend not using the tuner out, it can suck tone depending on your rig.

6. Sweet. Thanks for the input, all!!

While i'm a fan of GGG and BYOC... the price to make a Vol pedal would be more than i would pay for a used EB. I'm not NEARLY savvy enough to fabricate my own... yet :ninja:

7. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Ey, t1m is back up again? Good tidings all around. Last week the site seemed down, I was afraid he'd stopped making pedals altogether.

8. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    No, just put up a new site. Dan at This1sMyne is "the man" when it comes to all things pedal.

He just did a awesome mod to my DD-2. Made a great delay even better!