Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a good connection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Sep 6, 2001.

1. ive got a 50 watt bass head and cabinet using 1/4 inch jacks. is a standard guitar cable to connect them a big no no. or does it only matter with higher power heads?

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I used an instrument cable for years because I didn't know any better and nothing happened.
    But to avoid any risk I would buy a speaker cable in your place - it won't cost you much. At least less than a possible amp repair.

Matthias

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    For amp-to-speaker connections, it's important to use wire that is large in cross-sectional area and doesn't have one conductor shielding the other. That means instrument cables are not good for this particular job.

Buy or make a decent speaker cable. Zip cord works great for speaker cable, and it's cheap. For a short cable--a couple feet or less--you can use #18 gauge wire. For longer, you can use larger stuff like #16 or #14.

4. In a recent project of mine, a stereo subwoofer setup (800 W continuous each) was wired with 10 mm^2 cable into Speakons at the speaker ends, and gold plated banana plugs into the amp.

Now THAT'S a good speaker cable :D

I don't exactly know what AWG number that translates to, but I think it's off the scale.

But seriously, signal cables used for speaker connection will most probably run warm, and bass could be flabby, because of the decreased damping ("grip" on the speaker) factor of the amplifier.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi Joris,

10 mm^2 is just a bit smaller than #7 AWG (10.55 mm^2). That is indeed a serious speaker cable!

Even 2 feet of two-conductor #18 AWG wire would have a resistance of only 26 milliohms, which shouldn't degrade damping audibly.

6. Bob,

I guess 10mm^2 is a bit of overkill, but one of the speakers is about 20 meters away from the amp, and the other one about 5. The guy with whom I've been building the system just got himself the fattest cable he could get. We used all of the 50 m single wire reel.