Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a GOOD guitar tuner

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Can some recommend a GOOD guitar/bass tuner?

I bought a Qwiktune tuner about a year ago and at first it worked fine but now it's completely crapped out.

The tuner never accurately reads the strings. When it gets close to accurate, the display needle flops flat and sharp like crazy instead of sitting in the middle. What a piece of crap.

Well, I paid only $20 for it but still, it has become so inaccurate it is practically useless. When I think I have all the strings in tune and then play a chord, it's off. Grrrr...

2. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I like my BOSS stompbox model. Very reliable, accurate, and solid as far as I can tell...

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Granny - FWIW: I recently was given a Boss TU-2 stomp tuner like lushfreak is talking about. Since it was a gift from out-of-town, I don't have an invoice I can use to return it to the store.

[​IMG]

I already have tuner that I can use silently onstage and that displays LED notes. I don't need another. I would like to sell it to get money towards something I could really use. This unit has never been unwrapped. The tape on the box it is packed in is still unbroken

I don't know what they sell for in B.C. but if you would like to see if we could work something out, just shoot me an email....(or if anyone else is interested).

Hey, what can I say? The TU-2 is what Marcus Miller uses!

5. Hey Rickbass, I'll keep that in mind...I've never heard of a stompbox tuner. That's a pretty cool idea. Would need to get a short patchcord for it but I could use a short cord anyways.

I'm checking out the TU-2 reviews at Harmony Central...unfortunately, I like to research my purchases to death. Too bad I didn't have this habit when I bought that Qwiktune.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    R.Granny:

I may have gotten the only two Qwik-Tune tuners in the world that work right.:)

I have one that stays on top of my practice amp and one in my gig bag. Mine work perfectly.

One thing that I have found, though, is that if the volume control and tone control aren't maxed out on my passive P type bass the reading jumps around when I get very close to being in tune.

Try maxing your controls and see if that helps.

Pkr2

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    TU-2 is what you want.

8. Boss TU-2!! I have used a QWIK-TUNE before, and found that it didn't always pick up low b and e very well. Reading it was almost impossible without my reading glasses during practice - no way it could be seen clearly on stage. The TU-2 is light years better - and it should be for the price (new ~ $150 CAD in Ontario).

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Don't forget the Intellitouch tuner (PT-1 I think?) They tune by vibration. The only problem is, you have to tune a bass by the octave (12th fret harmonic). The bass strings just dont vibrate enough.
    May not be what your looking for, but worth the time and effort in my opinion.

Stu

10. Rickbass, sent you a PM.

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Another vote for the TU-2. I ditched my Sabine rack tuner for mine, it is easier to use and works better!

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Love the TU-2!

Portable, tough, easy to see, and most importantly...acquires the notes quickly and accurately.

13. mpapi

mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    I vote for the TU-2 as well. IMHO the Korg rack tuner that everyone uses sucks. Haven't tried the Sabine. I just wish Boss would make a rack version.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Why rack it? It's perfect right where it is, you can step on it anytime you have a second or two - even mid-song, it mutes your signal when you turn it on and is completely transparent when it's off, and you don't have to turn your back to the audience when you're tuning (something I consider bad showmanship). I never did like the fact that I had to turn around to tune when I had the rack tuner. Oh, and the Sabine sucked even more than the Korg does, took FOREVER to figure out what note you were playing! :p

15. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    I have used many different tuners, and I think the small Sabine units are the best. I have an ST-1100 that works great.

16. The Fender guitar tuners are very good.
    Jim

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I really like the TU-2, so I recommended it. But I like my Korg DTR-1 better. I didn't think you were talking rack-mount. The TU-2 is the easiest to use of all the other small tuners, and it's fast and accurate. A great feature also is that it mutes your signal while you're tuning, so you don't have to turn down your rig.

18. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    The best tuner out there is something you already have, your ears, and the nerves in your body! the way i tune my bass is by using the harmonics at the 5th and 7th frets. I do that, and then with my body, i can feel the vibrations and how the soundwaves clash together. I jsut simply tune until i dont feel any vibrations, or until the "waves" of vibration become extremly slow.

to tune using the 5th and 7th fret harmonics:

(**all harmonic**)

g----------|---------|--------|--7----|
    d----------|---------|-7-----|-----5-|
    a----------|--7-----|-----5--|-------|
    e---7-----|-----5---|--------|-------|
    b-------5-|----------|--------|-------|

=w=Slicks=w=

_p.s. sorry if the tabbing sucks, first time!)

19. Yeah, with this Qwiktune, what I do is I try to tune one string then use harmonics to do the rest. Problem is, I can't even get ONE stinkin' string tuned properly.

Regarding the Boss tuner, has anyone had any problems with it? A couple reviews on Harmony Central have suggested that it is unreliable and doesn't hold up to Boss's reputation.

I have a Dual Overdrive pedal that has been going for a couple of years now, no problem though...

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Had mine for over a year of HEAVY use, never the first sniffle, works perfectly every time. Even tunes the B string on my EUB without a hitch.