Need a good home practice amp for about $300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThunderStik, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Alright, my main rig is an svp-pro going into a bergie ht-2-12 and I absolutely love the sound.

I am in need of a combo amp for home practice and small acoustic gigs that would have the following if possible.

1)2x8 or 1x10 inch speaker configuration.
    2) 50-100 (or more) watts with the ability to add another extension cab if needed.
    3) new ore used doesnt matter (would preferr new)
    4) Good basic tone (would preferr as close to my larger setup as possible)
    5) Bells and whistles not needed, but not frowned upon either.
    6) Easily portable.
    7) I dont care for squeaky clean tone, I prefer a nice growling/grinding tone but if has the other stuff I can make do.
    8) Im not partial to any brand until they start paying my bills.
    9) May be able to go to $400 if that perfect product is there.

As the local GC is such a dive and has crap for bass equipment I dont have access to all the things that many of you guys have out there so I will be buying strictly by word of mouth.

Im really not trying to be an ass but I have been playing 20+years so please if you have been playing 6 weeks and you have the new behringer whatever im really not interested. There I said it, I know I sound like a jerk now but im really not:bag:.

THere is just alot of product out there these days that I dont have access to and I would prefer to have the opinions of the more experienced players.

Thanks.

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
  3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    I have one of these. For a practice amp this thing is PERFECT!

The modeling on this amp is excellent. I have one patch modeled after my TFB420/AG112L setup. It sounds darned near identical!

The effects on it are pretty good too. All I really use is the chorus and it sounds fine.

On the downside, it does not meet your wattage requirements. It is only 30w.

But it sounds great!

:D

Joe.

4. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008
  5. +1 for either Ampeg or GK

6. Check out some of the GK Backline combos. I've got a GK BL 115 that I use at home and it's a cool little amp. Hey, I may even sell mine to you.

7. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I have an Ashdown Perfect Ten wish I am very satisfied with.

Good price.
    Very punchy.
    Only 30W wich is more then enough for me.

I'm not sure you could use it for your acoustic gigs though. Anyone else got experience with the Perfect Ten?

For your needs I would also think about a new Line6.

8. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    the ba115 is a good solid combo.

9. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Hartke Kickback 12. I didn't pay to much for mine at Sam Ash and it's 120 watts and kicks back like a monitor-- it's a great home amp and works well for gigs that have good PA support. I actually called the guys at Bass Central and they suggested this amp even though they didn't carry Hartke, which said a whole lot to me about the amp.

10. My Roland Cube 30 was a very nice little amp...

11. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
  12. I have one of these and am pretty happy with it.

As for the OP's requirements:

1) 1x10 inch speaker configuration.
    2) 75 watts, no ability to add extension cab
    3) Around $250 new
    4) Has good basic tone as well as decent modeling for the price.
    5) Not too many bells, but the compressor is decent, it has an aux input, headphone out, and a DI.
    6) At one foot square and about 20 lbs, I don't think it can get any more portable. (This is the #1 reason I bought it.)
    7) You can dial in a variety of tones.

13. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I think a used Peavey TNT combo would make a great practice amp.
    Cheap, dependable, and plentyful.
    You're not going to wow anyone with it but thats not the object here is it?

14. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Also tells you a lot about the guys at bass central (all great!).

I used one of these with a HOT jazz band in high school and it was always plenty. I loved the sounds I could get out of it. If I ever played in a big band setting again, I'd probably pick one up.

15. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I have the old Roland Cube 60 from the 80's. It's a great home amp.

16. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    OK

1) Fender DEC, too many bells and whistles and not enough power, generally at that price I would rather spend my money on tone and power as opposed to all the little nik naks. so thats out.
    2) The GK brat pak, I dont want seperates. I want 1 item and 1 cord. I have heard many bad things about GK's low buck stuff.
    3) The ampeg BA 115. Speaker is too big, this is for home practice and acoustic gigs. What this means is by the time you get that big 15 movin its putting out some SPL's. I like the way a speaker sounds once you get it moving a bit and to get that 15 movin in the house it will just be way to loud. IMO
    4) Hartke, I used to have a hartke rig a few years ago and truthfully I cant stand the sound of the stuff. I wish I did.
    5) Peavey, See hartke above.
    6) The line 6, I dont have any experience with their stuff but I dont believe that 30 watts will deliver in the acoustic sets.Plus it does not have an external speaker jack.

So thus far that leaves the,

1) Nemesis N28, I like this thus far. Anybody have any experience with this?
    2) While the Roland Cube 30 I think is too small, maybe one of the larger ones will do as I really like the cube guitar amps. Anybody care to speak about the cubes?

Anybody else have anything to add to the mix.

17. heres an idea.......why not just pick up a good 2x10 and hump your existing head home for practice.......if needed it can reinforce your existing rig and give you a built in excuse to not leave expensive gear lying around.....and your practice sound is as your stage sound

18. The Line 6 is rated at 75 Watts - if you have PA Support that is plenty - just sit it up high and use it has a monitor.

I line out my B-DEC to the GK Stack - like to mess with the modeling and effects. Sounds good too.