1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a good Overdrive Pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kewp, Dec 3, 2018.

1. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015
    The band I am I has a few songs that I need a good overdriven sound on (think Lemmy-like, not fuzz). I play a Rickenbacker 4003 through a Ampeg SVT Pro -7 and 4x10 Ampeg Neo.

I bought a Rat and a Joyo Ultimate Driver. The Rat feedback way too much with the Rick and the Joyo was too artificial sounding.

I eventually would like a DI and looked at those options. I only need the overdrive for a few songs so need the option to turn on and off. Only ones with that option that fit the bill were Darkglass Vintage Ultra (out of $ range) and Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig (considering since it has the Character knob and added effects + not digital). Pedal wise, looking at Guv’nor v2 and (the name is so cheezy) the OKKO motorbass.

Anyone have any suggestions on either a pedal or a DI that fits the bill or opinions on those pedals?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    DOD 250 is a good grind pedal for that Lemmy sound. You could also check the Tech 21 Oxford, or the Tech 21 VT Bass for that.
    Joyo has the American and the California that sound great with bass and the eq and voice knobs allow you to shape your sound in a versatile way.

gregmon79 likes this.
  3. MXR M89 ROCKS smooth baby smooth MG_6201-440x440.

LiquidMidnight and Lardass5000 like this.
  4. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Darkglass Vintage Microtubes.

Crystalman85, Starseed and BigBear77 like this.
  5. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    +1. Very versatile, with the Drive and Blend controls you can use it as an always on subtle overdrive or go up to fuzz. They come up in the Classifieds regularly.

I'm also a fan of the Southampton Fifth Gear.

Starseed and MoeTown1986 like this.
  6. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Havent tried a ton of overdrive but I like both the Broughton Terraformer and EHX Hot Wax
    for low/moderate OD, but they can do heavier. They dont kill the low end. Broughton has a blend which is major, and the EHX also with blend, is 2 channel so you can get two different levels/flavor of OD, and well priced.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    recode and tewnty_two like this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    EBS FuzzMo will get you Lemmy all day long. It's not really a fuzz until you get to the top end of 'shape' control, and you'll want to stay at the bottom where it's a big fat overdrive.

Best part is that's it's on sale for $40!
    EBS Pedal FM-DISC Fuzz Mo Pedal

8. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    BBBOD.

cavemanbass and ahc like this.
  9. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    For Lemmy, Check out the Okko Moto Bass

Lardass5000 and hintz like this.
  10. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    BRO! Tweak the filter on the Rat. It's sooo worth it to mess with it more. Turn the distortion down a bit as well. Mine can get super refined. LOVE it.

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015
    I've been looking at that one. Have you used it?

12. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015
    I'm going to give it a week or so. Is it worth it to get the bass modification done?

13. BigBear77

BigBear77 Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Darkglass VMT works very well

Can look at SourceAudio Aftershock, can tailor it to your taste.

TC Electronics Spectra Drive. It’s a Di compressor and drive all in one, pretty cheap for those options.

Or even, if you’re running all Ampeg you can try their scramble OD pedal

14. T Bassman

T Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Tech21 ‘British’ JCM 800 pedal. I have found nothing better

15. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego
    Aftershock.

16. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    I have not but it gets pretty top end grindy from what I can notice. A little too much for my tastes I run a Damnation Audio MBD-1

SunnBass and gregmon79 like this.
  17. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    The name escapes me, but a boutique builder made a Lemmy tribute pedal a few months back that absolutely nailed it! I'll try a quick search... edit: found it

On the topic of preamps, the Tech21 flyrig is in fact *mostly* digital: the chorus, envelope and fuzz/octaver digital with the Sansamp/comp being the only analog parts. Still sounds really good though! Putting the boost before the Sansamp can help get a nice drive sound but for it to be heard in a mix you'd need to run the drive up somewhat already: so basically you can't go from 100% clean to dirty on the flyrig, its dirty then even more dirt if you want any.

I'd recommend just saving up for the VMT ultra if have a DI/preamp with the ability to go from clean to dirty is important to you. I use the DG amp on the VMT sound as my main drive, and the VMT sound is my absolute favorite!! And the clean sound is the cleanest I've ever heard from any amp!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Bassmike62 likes this.
  18. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Joyo’s A solid pick, just not the Ultimate Drive IMO. The Golden Face does a pretty great Lemmy, while the Orange Juice is somewhat less Lemmy but sounds a little tighter. Either one would serve you well for not a lot of dough.

zapped777 likes this.
  19. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Come to think of it and speaking of Darkglass, the Alpha/Omega ultra would get you that Lemmy sound much easier than the VMT will.

Lardass5000 and gregmon79 like this.
  20. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Another vote for the MBD1. It’s pricey. Save some pennies. Seriously.

Maxfenderbass, SunnBass and hintz like this.