1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a good Overdrive Pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kewp, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

OD pedals... I've tried a quite a few, but always go back to the same: Tech21 VT Bass v.2.
    Might not be the fanciest out there, but it's my best.

hintz likes this.
  2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

Holy crap that kills it !! Sounds like a razor driven in a brick wall awright.
    :bassist:

hintz likes this.
  3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    The VMT is everything you need! I loooooove mine!

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  4. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    alpha stock1.

FaithNoMan and Lammchop93 like this.
  5. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    OJ is a good shout. Always go back and forth with that and my Blueberry.

6. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    The VMT is a really lovely pedal in it’s own right; I don’t think it gets aggressive enough for the sound the OP is after though.

7. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
  8. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I do think the RAT is worth having around still. I've never had a bass mod done to it, so I'll have to look up what that mod does. If it's easy, yes, it's worth it. :)

Another awesome drive that hasn't been listed (unless I'm blind) is the Drive Maker by DSM.

My bass is so aggressive sounding already that I really don't use overdrives anymore. So, for me, other than an OD I'd recommend something completely different in a sense.

The Providence Dual Bass Station (which is a pre-amp) can do some killer things and is always on. With one stomp, you can change your settings. It has a lot of head room as well.

If you want another really good OD suggestion, I'd again go with Providence but the Brick Drive.

What is your set up like? Did we ask that? That can make a HUGE difference.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want that lemmy kilmister sound, you should go with the okko motorbass. other pedals I would recommend for a high-gained sound would be a source audio aftershock(that is if you don't mind digital bass distortion pedals) and perhaps the amptweaker bass tight rock jr.

10. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015
    I looked at those, but $220 for a pedal I will only use on two songs was a bit too much right now.

11. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015
    I like that 2 channel option!

12. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015

I play a rickenbacker 4003 out of either a SVT Pro 7 or Ampeg Portaflex 500 with the 4x10 Neo cabinet. I occasional use a dbx 160 compressor.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Out of the choices listed, this will definitely get you in the ball park. The Darkglass VMT, which has been listed, is a great pedal, but I don't really think it does "Lemmy". When I think Lemmy, I think of that bright, British chainsaw type of overdrive.

14. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    EHX Hot Wax, It is basically 2 pedals in 1. The EHX Hot Tubes and the EHX Crayon with the addition of bass,treble and blend. They dont work well stacked (total loss of low end) , but individually very flexible.
    Its a keeper and for about $100 great bang for the buck.

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    You could go for the ehx hot wax. it costs $110 and it does overdrive and distortion sounds(when turning on both overdrives on the pedal that is). that would come in handy for playing motorhead tunes and other tunes that require overdriven bass. or if you don't mind digital distortion pedals, check out the source audio aftershock. this pedal has an app for creating your own drives. it costs $150. it's digital but versatile.

16. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    One other option: Tech21 Programmable BDDI. It's cheap 2nd hand and has 3 presets.
    The OD sound does not really get into Lemmy territory, but it can do quite gnarly.

The upside is: It's a very good DI for live use, you can have a normal preset, one with Overdrive and another one on top of that - in my neck of the woods, it's no problem getting one 2nd hand since they pop up quite frequently.

If you're really after Lemmy, you need something with adjustable mids. And boost the heck out of them. Nothing else. Just mids. All you can get.

Clem Lushness likes this.
  17. Clem Lushness

Clem Lushness

May 30, 2017
    Australia
  18. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    What's a Lemmy ?

19. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    I found a sleeper the other day. The Fulltone GT-500. Amazing pedal with no low end loss. Nice grind too. Best part is you can get them for like $60 bucks used. I second the Hot Wax. I'd love to try a Motorbass, but they seem hard to find. Or at least they did when I was looking for one. I have to go look that one up now.

20. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    American's aren't known for their sarcasm so I hope this is the exception.

Beheroth likes this.