1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a good Overdrive Pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kewp, Dec 3, 2018.

1. That never stopped me. :laugh:
    My 4003 has 70's reproduction pickups made my Classic Amplification, no load tone pots, a 10meg volume in the bridge, brass nut, and a brass Hipshot bridge. If anything, the OD helps give it warmth by "fuzzing" around the attack.

My vote is for that Lemmy pedal or an Alpha-Omega. A/O is easily the sickest bass overdrive I've ever played or heard.
    I go for a less overdriven, more cutting/clanky tone than Lemmy, but here is the A/O with 2 year old Lo-Riders on my Ric:

This was with new strings, but I didn't wind up keeping that Amptweaker Bass Tight Rock Jr pedal I used to make it with. Treble on the amp is turned down pretty far to compensate the new strings:
    Playing: HiBeamsPeavey MarkVIb Bass TightRockJr.mp3 - picosong

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I Still have not looked for another OD since getting a barbershop.
    It reacts so well to touch and the way one plays that I do not want to miss it.

I find the motörbass looks interesting too but the name is so unfortunate...I'm not buying a pedal that seems to be designed to ape a specific players tone. Even worse when it does not only seems to but actually IS designed to do that. (petty , I know)

3. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Darkglass omicron

4. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015
    So I ended up with that on sale EBS Fuzzmo Drive. Came in today. My amp is at my lockout so I could only fiddle with I through a mixing board and my little bedroom PA speakers so far, but sounds pretty good through that. Test it for real tomorrow.

I also gave in and ordered the Motorbass pedal. Hopefully will get it this week. I’ll post how it does once I try it out.

Thanks for all the advice. Still eying the Darkglass Ultras but will have to wait a while.

5. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015
    I really wish it had a less obvious name and design.

6. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    If you don’t keep the FuzzMo... look into a dunwich ODB. I also get great low drive sounds from the Darkglass X7 and the idiotbox blower box, though you can do a lot of high gain with them too. The Broughton Terraformer is another to check out.

7. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015
    I tried it again and it is loud. Kept getting nasty feedback and the crackle was too much even with the distortion way down. Am I missing something?

8. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    I have the EBS multidrive and sounds great, for me. Very warm, especially at low, up to middle, gain. Mine is the older version, I read that the new one is even warmer (but I haven't tried, so dunno). Minimal style with knobs, very simple to adjust

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  9. filler83

filler83

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    Lots of recommendations for the alpha omega - would the alpha omicron get there?

10. Solude

Solude

Sep 16, 2017
    Yes.

11. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    Yes. Same overdrive potential just no EQ.

12. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Yes in my opinion. I had the AO but didn’t need the eq part. Went for the Omicron because of simplicity. Everyone has different needs though.