Need a GREAT 5-String....NOT A BTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkFlo-Mofo, Aug 1, 2001.

1. FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    I've ordered and sent back 2 BTB 405's from AMS because they both have lousy electronics (the tone and intensity fluctuate when I play an open can even see the signal light on the amp go on, then off, then on...). I'm sure that many of them are fine, but I'm not comfortable putting it in the apparrently inept hands of the Ibanez quality control.

But anyway, I'd like opinions on a good 5 string. I'm lookin for one with a 35" neck and string spacing thats at least wider than am Ibanez Soundgear (my older 5 string I want to replace) cause I sure love that funk, but I need the B so I can play covers and originals and not switch basses. I'm kinda looking at some Spectors (they look GREAT, but I haven't played one yet). I'm not lookin to spend a whole lot more than $1000, so any help would be great.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I still recomend the special deal the <a href=""><font color=blue><b>Musician's Freind</b></font></a> has on Spector NS-5 CR's. These are the 1999 discontinued model. The only difference is the maple is not figured (it's a solid color anyway), it has dot inlays instead of the newer crown, & this one cost $500 less!!!!
  4. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    MM STINGRAY5. :D great basses. i dont know about spacings, but some of the best basses i have played ( tonewise ). look for a used one or one on ebay or something. try warwicks / spectors / fenders / anything you can get your hands on. i know the phrase and variations of the phrase " your ears are the best judge " are annoying, but theyre true
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Vote #2 for the MTD Kingston. Best sounding B under $1500. Only possible drawback is it's passive, but for the money (~$450), it's still cost effective to upgrade it. There's plenty of room in the control cavity already too.
  6. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Gard thanks my G.A.S pains are coming back. I want that bass! Also here is another vote for the Kingston 5. One will soon be mine! But let's not talk about it for a while, I can't stand the pain :( :)
  7. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    thats your answer right there. Music Man Stingray5. The last bass you'll ever buy. (Until you feel the need to become one of those crazy 7 string bass players...)
  8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I will agree with nino! Go with the spector!
  9. get a Carvin BB75 they look supremly nice.
    plus there versitile like hell low end is badass.
    i dont even consider Ibanez Basses really basses.
    The neck is so think it's just a guitar with bass strings!
  10. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Check out the Conklin GT series. I have a GT-7 and i't's nice, the price is right and comes with the Bartolini pups, excellent tone range. I'm sure the GT-5 should be just as nice.
  11. I bought my 1st 5 string a month ago.. a US deluxe fender P 5 string...

in the shop i tried out 10 or 15 5 stringers and the fender won hands down. no contest. the close second was a Stingray5...

I swapped my older Stingray4 for a Stingray5 last night, so now I have both my 1st and 2nd choice.

string spacing on the fender is WIDE, but it has a very playable neck - fairly flat profile.. the Ray is narrower spaceing, but the neck has a deeper profile.

I can thouroughly recommend the Fender P 5 - it plays and sounds beautiful. The ray is also spot on - but a totally different instrument.

dont buy by mail order - go to a shop, when you pick up the right bass you'll almost know before you play it!
  12. I´m looking for a 5 string too, i love the sound and the playability of the Warwick Thumb 5, very small body, although a little bit heavy, it´s a through neck bass, great electronics buvinga wood and very versatile

Try it.
  13. a tru neck thumb would be well over the price range...

i like them too, although i dont really like exotic wood basses...
  14. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Well, I have a Schecter stilleto Deluxe, and there certanly worth the money. Its the tightest 5th string ive ever played. Id get that. However, you might find the string spacing a little to close together, so try it before you buy it. But I have heard marvelous things about Spector, give those a try. The schecter lists for $700, but at musicians friend, their asking about $490. For the money, it beats any Earnie Ball or Fender ive ever played. I think they sound great and havea good fell. Check them out.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you ever played an Ibanez BTB or ATK?

Funkflo, I still recommend trying an MTD Kingston, but if you can afford a Stingray 5 or a Peavey Cirrus 5 they are also killer 5 stringers.
  16. Hey 311 fan: I don't wanna be rude, dude... but it'd be a miracle if a bass costing $390 or even $700 list price (only £400!!) plays or sounds even 1/2 as good as a relativley high-end bass like a Stingray or a decent Fender.

I know it's not all about cost... but you generally get what you pay for.. same as anything, cars, houses, food, anything...

Personally I've not played many basses that play as well as a Stingray in that price range ($1000 - $1300).

When I bought my 5 string I tried Status, Warwick and God knows how many weird things that I cant remember the names of and it came down to those two... nothing else came close... for me anyway?!

The Alembics were amazing but triple my budget!
  17. FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    Ah, yes, all are wonderful suggestions. I've played on those Conklins and they're pretty damn sexy, but I really don't like those Fenders. haven't played on an MTD or a Warwick (though seeing pictures of them in Bass Player make me poop my pants). But the reason behind that(and behind my previous ordering through catalogue) is that I life WAY up in Northern Michigan, and the closest place that has any kind of selection is in Traverse City. Looks like I'm going to have to take a trip down to the Lansing/Detroit/Grand Rapids area and scope out some of the stores down there, cause up here the closest music store just sells Washburns and crap like that. I'm still lookin at those Spectors, though...very sexy.
  18. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    You might find a used Fender Roscoe Beck V for under $1000.
  19. I just spotted a conklin GT5 on eBay with a starting price of $400.00 and a buy-it-now of $475.00. If I wasn't too poor to pay attention right now, I'd be bidding on it myself! ;)