Need a great inexpensive eq or preamp (box?) to go with new Aphex 204 Raven Labs? Dem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I got the 204 today and my first impression is WOW! This thing gives me the sound that I have been searching for, clear and deep yet smooth and bright without being harsh. Everything I've ever wanted from bass tone! Of course this is just the first day I have had it but I am already considering selling my Aguilar DB659, my Q5 sounds ten times better going right into the 204 and into a power amp. Best of all: Everything is adjustable! dial in and out any frequencies you do or don't especially like! Amazing! I just need to see if I can find a preamp/eq that will pair well with this unit, I don't really want to color the sound much. Any ideas for portable (relatively inexpensive) preamps or eq? Something with midrange and maybe an effects loop? How much midrange control do I really need? Raven Labs PHA-1 or true blue? How about this new Demeter beqp-2 preamp box? Fodera? Sadowsky?
  2. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I have the Raven-Labs PBM and the PHA. The quality is so good that it goes way beyond the, 'well I own one so it must be good' type of recomendation. After reading about the True Blue, his aproach to EQ seems very smart. Yet, even with all its virtues, I would recomend an audition or the ability to return it to be sure it's voiced for your needs. There is also a Universal Preamp available with similar EQ.

Not until you actualy use any of these nuggets will you realize that their slightly higher price is very fair. Get the power supply!