1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a great inexpensive eq or preamp (box?) to go with new Aphex 204 Raven Labs? Dem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I got the 204 today and my first impression is WOW! This thing gives me the sound that I have been searching for, clear and deep yet smooth and bright without being harsh. Everything I've ever wanted from bass tone! Of course this is just the first day I have had it but I am already considering selling my Aguilar DB659, my Q5 sounds ten times better going right into the 204 and into a power amp. Best of all: Everything is adjustable! dial in and out any frequencies you do or don't especially like! Amazing! I just need to see if I can find a preamp/eq that will pair well with this unit, I don't really want to color the sound much. Any ideas for portable (relatively inexpensive) preamps or eq? Something with midrange and maybe an effects loop? How much midrange control do I really need? Raven Labs PHA-1 or true blue? How about this new Demeter beqp-2 preamp box? Fodera? Sadowsky?

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I have the Raven-Labs PBM and the PHA. The quality is so good that it goes way beyond the, 'well I own one so it must be good' type of recomendation. After reading about the True Blue, his aproach to EQ seems very smart. Yet, even with all its virtues, I would recomend an audition or the ability to return it to be sure it's voiced for your needs. There is also a Universal Preamp available with similar EQ.

Not until you actualy use any of these nuggets will you realize that their slightly higher price is very fair. Get the power supply!