need a head to complete my mesa rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    what would you guys reccomend using with 2 mesa roadready cabs? i would prefer something relatively hifi and transparent sounding...with about 500-700 watts of power. im not really into the tube/vintage sound too much. and im not that picky when it comes to amps, i just need some advice since the dealers around here dont carry much at all. any fellow roadready users wanna dish out what they use and how it sounds?

2. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The new Big Block 750 looks really nice. 750 MOSFET watts with a tube pre.
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I'd recommend a pre-amp (Demeter, Alembic, Aguilar...) with a power amp (Stewart or QSC). Great tones and a plenty of power (that can be upgraded by changing out the power amp). In reference to your comment "I'm not really into the tube/vintage sound too much". A few months ago I felt the same way. I've always used Pre-amp/Power amp rigs or SWR/Eden heads. It had been years since I played through an Ampeg SVT or an amp with that true tube sound. A few weeks ago I picked up a Mesa M-Pulse 600 head and I'll have to say, now it's hard to take my SM-400S to a gig! I even sold my Alembic/Stewart rig! Both are great sounds and have their place (depending on the gig) but for good old Rock and Roll I'll take the Mesa hands down!
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    EA iAMP800 - no doubt, its exactly what you're describing. also, its much lighter than its compadres in the same catagory. or for less quan, try an EBS HD350.

either that, or call up Walter Woods, and he'll make you lickety split one of his "not so Ultra" High Power heads, which fall into the 800 watt catagory. from what i heard not as expensive, yet still as awesome and still as portable as an empty lunch box. do a search on the forum, and you'll find his elusive phone number.
  5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I've heard of the Big Block, but I can't find any information on it or when its released.
  6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I've considered the Pre/Power setup only has a last resort if I can't find an integrated head that does the work. I'll consider it more though.

As for the tubes, I used to own a 400+ and have borrowed a few SVT's...the sound really isn't for me. I haven't tried out the MPulse series yet, maybe I'll give them a quick look.
  7. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    The I-AMP 800 really does look awesome. It is kinda expensive though, maybe I can find a good used one. I noticed it only has Speakon outputs...which could be a problem since my cabs have 1/4" inputs. Do they make Speakon--1/4" speaker cables?

I'll look into Walter Woods, sounds interesting.
  8. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Maybe I'll scan the 2004 catalogue I got at NAMM. It has the big block in it. I tried it out too and it sounded great. Lots of power behind it.
  9. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    that would be cool, i am kind of curious?
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd consider the M-Pulse 600. Although it CAN get tubey if you want, it also does a nice "hi-fi" tone. I have it's littlest brother, the 300w Walkabout, and it has tremendous tone.

As for the iAMP 800, yes, they do make Speakon to 1/4" cables.

11. I'm using a SansAmp RBI and QSC 1602 with my Mesa 1516 cab ... best, loudest, most versatile rig I've owned yet.

Heaviest too :D