Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need a head to power Avatar B410 pro cab and B212 or B210 pro cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brennan19, Mar 23, 2005.

1. brennan19

brennan19

Mar 15, 2005
    ok, i have decided to purchase two Avatar cabs, a B410 pro and either a B212 or a B210 pro , im not sure which of those two yet, hopefully someone can help me out with that. ok, anyways with that said, im going to need a head , but i have no clue what to get, ive been looking at a GK 1001RB-11 head, but thats only like 750 watts, each cab alone are, i think it said were 1000 watts each, neeeeeed help.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    You need not "match" the power rating of your cab(s) with a head of equal power. All that rating is telling you is what the cabs can *handle*, not what you *must feed them*.

To that end, the GK would work just fine.

Now - for a more detailed suggestion - what type of music do you play, how loud, size of rooms, etc?

3. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Oh, and last but not least.... budget. :smug:

4. brennan19

brennan19

Mar 15, 2005
    also , each of these cabs come in 8 ohms or 4 ohms, not sure about which one to get.

5. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    OK.... you do need to do a search and study, but I'll try to give a Cliff's Notes version:

Most heads can handle a load down to 4 ohms. Although some can go down to 2, it's not the norm.

If you plan on buying 2 cabs, you'll want to buy 8-ohm ones. This will allow you to run them together, and your head will see a total impedance of 8x8 / 8+8, or 64/16, or 4 ohms.

If you do buy 4-ohm cabs and try to run both of them (in parallel), you'll create a load of 4x4 / 4+4, or 2 ohms. If you run this setup with a head that can only go down to 4 ohms, you'll burn up the head. Quickly.

Now search through other threads for keywords like "ohms", and STUDY!! ;)

6. brennan19

brennan19

Mar 15, 2005
    my style is hardcore metal, im looking at a thousand for gear, but may go over if i absolutely have to. im not in a band yet, but im friends with the drummer of a band and they need a bassist, i dont know what size the room is.

7. brennan19

brennan19

Mar 15, 2005
    ok, that sums it up for me, ill go with two 8 ohm cabs and the gk 1001rb-11

8. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    A lot of possibilities come to mind. But since you mentioned GK and Avatar, two thoughts come to mind:

- Last I heard, that same head you mentioned was $600 at riksmusic.com. I *think* it also had free shipping (if that's not right, someone will be along soon to correct, I'm sure).

- I have the combo of Avatar B212 and B210, it's a nice setup, and can be had for ~$600 shipped.

- If you start with a 4x10, I'm not sure why you'd want to add a 2x10. Would seem better to add a larger driver for more bottom; I'd be looking at the 12's and 15's to complement the 10's.

Now - time to research, time to try heads and cabs out. That's the fun part! :hyper:

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

My head will run at 2 ohms and pump out 1200 watts at those ohms! I A/Bed it against the GK and found the tone better/warmer/grittier. Click the link in my sig (below) to read about this baby plus it's about $100 - $200 cheaper than the GK! My A/B test against the GK is on the last page of the thread...

10. In that case get the 4x10 and 2x12. You'll get better super low tones.

11. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    It's your choice dude. But frankly, you could have double the power for less money if you got a preamp and power amp.

::shrug::.... just a thought :rolleyes:

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Good point, though double the power only equates to a volume increase of 3dB, all other things being equal . . .

On the other hand, the power amp option does increase your headroom dramatically, which is SWEET, especially if you're playing metal. :D

13. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Word to that. Headroom gets pooped on when you play hardrock, hardcore, or metal. Lots of power... appropriate speaker cabs... you'll be good.

If I had a B410Pro and a B212, I'd have a friggon PLX 3002 powering them suckers in bridged-mono.

Sorry.... cant help but fantasize sometimes :D

14. brennan19

brennan19

Mar 15, 2005
    ok, so then what are some good preamps and power amps that will power both the b410 pro and b212 cabs? my budget is 600- 750 for both.

15. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

Word on the above 3-4 posts. I play original metal and have the RMX 2450 bridged mono (4ohms) at 2400 watts...powering the Avatar 212 and a 410. It is outstanding...plenty of power! I'm thinking of getting a 15 though just or the heck of it so I can see if any difference. I also have the Bmax ss. Right now that combination is for sale in the the for sale forum. About 500 for the RMX and 200 for the Bmax. I was gonna sell mine a while back then I came back from idiotville and decided to keep them. The only thing I would change now is getting a PLX series amp...lighter.

16. QSC RMX 1450,$399
    Carvin DCM 1500,$399
    Sans Amp RBI preamp,$300 most places
    RBI preamp and either poweramp for about $700.The Carvin is a little lighter than the QSC but both are about the same power and dependability.I use an RBI with a Crown CE 1000 and have no issues with power but for your music you'd want more headroom than me.

17. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    www.QSCaudio.com

Look up the RMX series. They're heavier, but more affordable than the PLX series.

If you could pick up a preamp for $200 (used) then you could get yourself an RMX1850 for $500 new. The 1450 would work fine as well... but since your cabs would be able to handle it, I see no reason not to go 1 step up.

The Sansamp RBI and BBE BMax preamps are both $300 new. So going new would still allow you to pick up a preamp and an RMX1450. I would recommend the RBI, because it has a separate channel for distortion. QSC Makes very reliable equipment as well.

18. You guys are forgeting the $100 rack and power conditioner for the pre/power setup. Any way you slice it the head is going to be cheaper for $600, unless you get a really great deal on a used rack, pre, and power amp.

19. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    This was my conclusion a few weeks ago when I added it all up. Since I figure I don't need more than 500 watts for anything right now, the 1001RB-II has power to spare, the sound, and is only $600.

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You might consider a Carvin B1500. 1250 W at 4 ohms, 1900 W at 2 ohms, $700 new. It's a very good head; I own one. You don't get the same flexibility as with a pre/power setup, but frankly, my subjective impression is that its preamp section actually sounds better than the SansAmp--clearer and more extended--though the Sans may have a vibe you like.