1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a "hi-fi", medium sized combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Ok, I've gone through more "trials" of bass equipment than I care to mention in the past 3 years, chalk it up to inexperience and not knowing what "my sound" is. But now I realize that the tone I like best is that which I get through headphones and my computer. Also, I like my sound just going straight to the board through our PA. No effects, no EQ to speak of, just clean and even. I think this means hi-fi. I love my Ampeg B100R, but it doesn't have this sound, it's more of a warm, lo-mid type of sound. I figure I can get this sound from a hi-fi system by EQ'ing the other frequencies out.

So my question is....what, in a medium sized combo, will give me this sound? I'm thinking maybe the Nemesis 2x10, the Peavey BAM (though it's not really been road-tested by anyone) or maybe the Carvin 2x10, but think Eden is more than I want to pay.

I guess I just don't dig the "jacked up" sound of most bass amps, and how their tone is jacked up to, I guess, emphasis bass.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In the hi-fi category, I think EA might be the best bet for you if you're looking for a mid-sized combo. They've actually got some combos that sound huge, but are small by comparison to others that sound not as big.

I'm also a big fan of EBS. They make a couple of combos that are supposed to be great, though I haven't actually tried the combos (I do own an EBS amp and cab, which I love).

3. Bichegrinderboy

Bichegrinderboy

Nov 8, 2001
    LA
    The new EA equipment isn't as Hi-Fi as their old stuff but it gets a little louder. Definitely worth checking out.

I own a pair of Aguilar GS 112's and they are the best sounding small cabinets I've heard. I can't say enough good things about them. I just bought them can you tell? I checked them out with the new EA iAmp 350 and that combination is so much better than any combo I've ever heard.

I recently heard someone playing in a club with that rig, a pair of GS 112's and an iAmp 350, and it sounded great. He was switching off between upright and electric too, so this rig does it all as far as I can tell.

Bang for buck the Eden Nemesis is very cool but nothing in that price range is really HI-FI...

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    SWR Workingman 15 is a great hi-fi combo. Sounds incredible and its 700 bucks