Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need A Little Advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by usernamessuck, Jun 17, 2004.

1. ok my band is starting to make it big by playing in big venues and concert halls.

ok now my concern august 13 will be my first BIG show opening up for Wasp at harpos in detroit michigan.

i have a bad case of stage fright. i cant even give a speech in class
    i dont want to screw up and screw everyone else up cause everyone ll be mad at me and want to kick my butt!

HELP!

Give me some advice what do you do?

im only 16 and wow...

i would appreciate any advice or techniques anybody uses

cheezncrackers2006@yahoo.com

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Find some huge fat chick in the audience and pretend you're playing just for her. You'll be so disinterested (unless you, you know, like huge fat chicks) that you won't be nervous anymore and can play everything right. :D

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Find some pentazimin and take a bunch of it.

EDIT: But not too much.

4. First off you have a fair amount of time between now and the gig date, which is good. How much live playing experience do you and your band have? For most people some stage fright is normal so I wouldn't let that concern you.

Right off the bat I'd advise doing as many gigs - regardless of venue size - as possible between now and then to get more 'comfortable' being in front of people. And if you're only performing for 8 people who couldn't care less put on a show as if you're headlining a stadium regardless.

If there are situations around you where it's possible to personally go sit in and jam with strangers do that, also.

I'm not familiar with the venue you'll be performing at but if it's typical of those I used to play then the audience, at least visually, will pretty much 'disappear' once you start playing. With a dark room and typical stage lighting you're not going to easily 'see' the size of the audience, other than those gathered at the front of the stage. The lights will prevent that, although if it's a decent crowd you can definately 'feel' their presence.

Try to rehearse in a room with mirrors so that you (and the band) can see what's being presented as play down your set. In this manner you're not just 'going thru the motions' of practicing a set of songs that the band probably knows backwards and forwards, you'll be rehearsing what will become the all-important "Live Show". Critique each player's visual presence (with the understanding that it's not bashing one another, ego's can get bruised) and have everyone make suggestions as to what they feel can be improved upon. You have one chance to impress people when you hit the stage.

Highly recommend video taping these live set rehearsals if possible along with any gigs done between now and August. I cannot state this enough. It's amazing to watch yourself in context with the music being played, the interaction between yourself and your band mates. Watching the tapes might bring about a complete change from what you think may be your 'coolest' moves/whatever you have going on.

Check out the bands that you feel put on great live shows (without worrying about special f/x, etc). What is it about their shows that excites you visually? What makes these bands more 'fun' to watch than others? How can you emulate them and/or adopt some of this into your own presentation?

I'm assuming that you do know the band's music extremely well, enough so that you don't have to 'think' about what you'll be playing when, etc., that it's down to the point of just flowing out of you. If not, get it there asap. Knowing the set to that extent allows you the freedom to work on your presentation. The confidence will be there as far as your playing ability goes, you know you won't 'screw up' the song because you can play it in your sleep. If the music is good the audience will enjoy listening to it - now just give them the best show that you can and they won't forget.

But above all try to get yourself in front of people as often as possible. Put yourself in situations that make you uncomfortable regularly... lightning won't strike, you won't die, and with time and experience you might even begin to enjoy it! :cool:

Hope someone else chimes in, that's all I could think of at the moment.

Peace,
    John Ross
    BassGirl

5. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I think the time that honestly cured me of (most of) my stage fright was after one performance (just a few tunes) where I absolutely nailed it. The next time, I felt confident, went for a bunch of things that I couldn't quite execute (apparently), completely messed up the end of a tune, and had as good of a time as when I did it a lot more "accurately." The audience and other musicians seemed to enjoy the second time more. Cool with me. :)

Somehow any concerns I'd had mostly just disappeared. Good groove and good time seem to make up for a lot. And having fun and making music isn't supposed to be stressful, anyway.

Think about it this way: as soon as you play a measure, it's already over. Everyone else has moved on to the next one, you can too. Don't worry so much about mistakes that are already done, just focus on where you're going.

Just have fun, the happiness takes the worry away. :)

6. good luck usernamessucks! not sure if this is true, but i hear that the bigger the crowd, the easier it is for the musician. can't speak from experience but hopefully one day i will. :D

7. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Have fun with it. Put in your experience book. Here's a trick for you: Picture yourself naked...wait...did I say that right....oh wait... picture your mom naked.....no...your dad?......my dad?......crap. Whatever. Picture W.A.S.P. naked. :bag:

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm telling you, the answer is pentazimin.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Go with it. Ride the fear for awhile; pretty soon you'll just forget about. Its kind off a Kung Fu thing: don't fight it, become one with it[​IMG]