1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a little guidance

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bkepner, Apr 26, 2015.

1. bkepner

bkepner

Feb 3, 2015
    I purchased a set of La Bella Deep Talkin Flats for my 60s Hollowbody bass recently from Chicago Music Exchange on ebay. I have used this set of strings on my bass for 5 or 6 years and really like them. Long story short there was some confusion with the shipping and whatnot and the seller didn't end up having the set I bought. They had a set of TIs and a set of Pyramid Golds that they are willing to ship me since they are out of the Labellas. I'm not familiar with the TIs or the Pyramid Golds so I was curious what you guys could tell me about each and which one you recommend.
    My options right now are the TIs, the Pyramid Golds, or asking for my money back and getting my Labella's somewhere else. The TIs and the Pyramid Golds cost double what I paid for the Labellas so I figured if I could get a could deal I should. Thanks

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    TI's get alot of love on here, but its a love hate relationship.
    They sound great, nowhere near what labella sounds like.
    Very musical and mid based sounding.
    The gripe against these are they have a very low tension rubbery feel to them.
    And they dont sound like a traditional flatwound.
    If any of it is what you love or hate you can make that decision.
    Pyramid golds are a very thumpy old school sounding string.
    Think it would mix well with a hollowbody IMO.
    But if your not going for that old school tone i would pass on them.
    My take would be the Pyramids are closer to the labella sound than the TI's ever would be and that goes for feel as well.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Heres a link on a violin bass.
    Think he is a fellow tber as well.

4. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    they also have nearly the same tension of Thomastik, being round core ad with a similar gauge in the Short Scale set: 40-56-70-100 (TIs are 43-56-70-106 for short scale).

Pyramids are "pure nickel", so low output, and they are smoother and "more flatwoundish", so they have a thumpy/dead E and A string and bright and twangy D and G.
    after they break in, they sound all thumpy.

thomastik have a slight more sustain and brightness, but after the break in period they sound like normal flatwound, just more balanced and less short in sustain.

that's how TIs sound on a Precision, after they break in. for the best thump, just add the foam mute at the bridge.

TI and Pyramid are peculiar strings, both "hate or love" sets. Labella are less characteristic and a bit brighter.

a set you can think about is the Rotosound RS77M (medium scale): they are small, bright at first but thumpy and balanced: here's my Hofner Ignition with Rotosound set: Dropbox - Hofner Ignition Rotosound.zip

the surface is a little less smooth compared to Labella or Pyramid (not Thomastik. they have near-round E and A strings, to sound less thumpy and muted, and smooth D and G)

they should cost less than Pyramid or Thomastik.