Need a little help from electrical wizards!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I have a quick one here...

I friend of mine owns a Nokia 3210 cellular phone. The battery in it has gotten worse and worse so we bought a new battery for it last friday.

I inserted the battery in the phone and it was charged for 18 hours (as the manual says). The phone was used all saturday, sunday and monday.

By then the battery had depleted and time for another recharge. When she woke up on tuesday morning the phone was VERY hot and it smelled like something had burned.

The phone was taken to a service center and it turned out that the battery had melted and had also melted stuck to the back of the phone.

The kicker is that we are being blamed for this. They insist that when we inserted the battery, we must have bent a pin which it connects to, thereby shorting something out causing the battery to overheat and melt.

I don´t agree with this at all, it doesn´t exactly take a rocket scientist to insert a battery into the phone.

My arguments against this is that if we did accidently bend something, shouldn´t the phone have melted right away when we charged it for the first time? The phone worked perfectly for the next three days. I think that this must have been a faulty battery. They say it´s impossible, since the battery is ,,mass produced" ?!?!? :confused:

Does this make any sense to anyone?

All help is appreciated!
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I don't see how a short could have caused such serious damage to a battery if it was depleted. The pro techies here could probably say for 100% sure, but it does sound more like a battery problem to me.

Sounds like the service centre people are full of crap to me too. So what if the battery is mass-produced - you might still get the occasional turkey that slips through.

IME a lot of the people who work at these stores are salesmen and nothing more. I have seriously wondered if they are trained to make up BS answers if there is a problem. :rolleyes:
  3. Well if it wasn't an original nokia battery, they'd still blame you, cause nokia don't accept responsibility for accidents/damages if you use a "pirate" battery. Last spring one actually exploded in Norway, and several have started to burn since. I'll try to dig up some facts...

[edit: link] nokia explodes
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland