Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a little help from my friends (which top)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPJ, Sep 2, 2004.

Which piece of cocobolo do you like?

Poll closed Sep 16, 2004.
  1. Go for the one on the left.

35 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Go for the one on the right.

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Take them both, you fool, before I hit you over the head with one of them.

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. They both suck.....just paint the thing black and be done with it.

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm having a tough time deciding which top I should pick for a double-cutaway bass. The first piece of cocobolo (on the left) shows a lot of figured heartwood, while the second piece of cocobolo (on the right) is a nice contrast between heartwood and sapwood. Any thoughts? :confused:

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I like the one the left better, I like the figure on the bottom. Look like an earwig or something :)

3. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    the most interesting part of the left piece will probably be covered by the bridge or pickups, if that part could be featured then id go with that. but the right one with a maple board the the top position so the bridge end is the big on the right i think would look stunning.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    i see I,m the only one who likes the one on the right better... :cool:

5. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    That's a tough choice to make without knowing the body shape. Either of those sets could be positioned 4 different ways making a total of 8 options. Who knows what one would be best without seeing the shape and knowing the placement of the hardware, fb, pickups, etc.

Just by looking at the woods I think the one of the left is more instresting to look (for whatever it's worth).

6. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Use both....one top, one back....

7. I kinda dig the left as well.

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I voted for both, but I dig the one on the left a bit more :) You might want to jump on the other one as well though :D

9. I'm really digging the colors of the piece on the left, and that spade shape on the bottom of it as well. I think that the contrast on the piece on the right might be a bit too much, and it looks like a lot of open, empty space. I'd use the one on the left, and them make some F Bass-esque pickup covers. That would be super sexy.

joe

10. use the left one, and then do it like alembic does[​IMG] you know. what they do at their bottom, put the bridge just above the figure and give it a sleek long look, double cut with a big difference between the left and right cut

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Quite true.

I'd like to see the one on the left, with edges flipped around inner-to-outer, with a body outline with the neck to the right.

Also the idea of the right one, with a maple-faced neck to the left and a dark headstock to tie it together, sounds nice.

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    First off, they're both gorgeous tops... IMHO, there are unique things I like about both of them.

Initially, I liked the left one better because of the unique pattern at the bottom of the piece. But, the figuring in the dark section on the right piece is amazing...

I say, get 'em both. Us one, save the other for a rainy day.

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the thoughts and opinions, guys! It's greatly appreciated. :)

McHack,
    You've managed to sum the whole thing up perfectly...that's exactly where I was coming from. I prefer the coverage of the coco top on the left, but really like the color and grain of what little heart wood is on the right. I'm going to see if maybe the top can be oriented in a way to eliminate most of the sap wood and focus on that heartwood. Thanks!!! ;)

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No sapwood!!

:scowl:

15. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I like the one on the right, it can be cut a bit more interestingly to maybe be able to incorporate the sapwood into the design of the body, like a tear drop of sapwood coming off the neck.

16. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I dig this one (the left one from above)

[​IMG]

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the votes and opinions. I was leaning towards the one on the left (shown above in Cliff's post) from the beginning, and that's the one I've settled on. Decisions, decisions, decicions!!! :D It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta' do it. ;)

18. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Neither! Who's the poor bum that has to work with that stuff? Why do you torture him so?????

Actually if I had to pick I'd choose the same one Cliff likes.

19. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    id go for the for the one on the left, it's a much more interesting piece

20. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Left one on front
    Right one on back
    Done