1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a little help.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RippinItUp, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Alright, I've been playing the bass for 7 years and have just started to ditch the pick and work with my fingers. I found I can get a different rythem with my fingers that I can't get with a pick (kind of hard to explain, I guess it's just easier to get some rythems than others without using the pick)

Anyway I was wondering if there are any exercises I can do to to stengthen my fingers. I'm still able to do most of the fills I do and busy work with just using fingers but I'd like to perfect it. My only thought was to keep practicing but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Mike

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Rhythm... ;)

This topic has been discussed many a time. Try searching. I'm pretty sure there were some bass workout books or something.

3. I switched from playing with a pick about 10 years ago.
    Just keep practicing as much as you can and it will come.Practice slowly with a metronome,and build up speed.

An excellent book to work on playing rythms(and reading them)is Modern Reading Text in 4/4 by Louis Bellson.

4. Thanks Chris, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.