Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a little help.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RippinItUp, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Alright, I've been playing the bass for 7 years and have just started to ditch the pick and work with my fingers. I found I can get a different rythem with my fingers that I can't get with a pick (kind of hard to explain, I guess it's just easier to get some rythems than others without using the pick)

Anyway I was wondering if there are any exercises I can do to to stengthen my fingers. I'm still able to do most of the fills I do and busy work with just using fingers but I'd like to perfect it. My only thought was to keep practicing but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Mike

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Rhythm... ;)

This topic has been discussed many a time. Try searching. I'm pretty sure there were some bass workout books or something.

3. I switched from playing with a pick about 10 years ago.
    Just keep practicing as much as you can and it will come.Practice slowly with a metronome,and build up speed.

An excellent book to work on playing rythms(and reading them)is Modern Reading Text in 4/4 by Louis Bellson.

4. Thanks Chris, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.