need a little help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Apr 24, 2002.

1. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    ok, this would sound really stupid, but here goes...

I have been given a budget OF £400 to buy a new amp for practice.

I am really inexperienced with different amps...e.t.c.
    As our company supplies our gig amps, and we usually practice with studio amps.
    Ive been to my local shops and stuff, but they are all moneygrabbing scumbags.

I need something thats versatile, and LOUD.

I know this isnt alot of variables for you to work with, but please, just reccomend one to me and/or a website where i can get hold of one you reccomend.

thankyou for your help! :)

2. Well, a little amp that has caught my eye lately is the Ashdown Electric Blue 130. You can either get a 1 x 12 combo, or a 1 x 15 - I'm thinking about the 1 x 15.

It puts out 130 watts - not sure how loud it is yet, but I've been told they're quite loud (I'm going to try before I buy anyway - I'll find out)

It looks OK - subjective anyway, and weighs about 40lbs - but it's very compact for the size of speaker it carries. It doesn't have a headphone socket, nor does it have any socket to connect any more speaker cabinets to - so it isn't an expandable combo.

I would recommend trying it first but I know that you can get them for £289 from Sound Control

They've also got some Marshall bass amps on that website - can't remember the prices off hand.
  3. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    you sir, a very helpful person.

*us brits should stay together*

<EDIT>Is this worth the extra £45???? Here it is
  4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Stick with the Ashdown!
    I've been using the 112 for a couple of weeks.
    For that price at soundcontrol it's unbeatable.
    They sound great and are seriously loud for the size!
  5. punkfunkfreak - if you've read my profile you'll notice I'm a bit of a Trace Elliot nut - I love their stuff.

However, having a look at the Ashdown Electric Blue 15 and the Trace you've mentioned.

1. The price difference is £160 (The Trace is £49 over your budget, the Ashdown is £111 under!)
    2. The power output difference is 20 watts - in terms of loudness - I have no idea what this equates to, too many variables!
    3. The Trace weighs almost double the Ashdown. It's also a bigger cabinet - is portability an issue
    4. The Trace will have an extension cabinet output
    5. Trace Elliot have shut down their UK manufacturing, as Gibson -their new owners- move the manufacturing to the states. Might make support and warranty issues a pain.

That's just some thoughts. If you have a £400 budget, you could get the Ashdown and something else - an effects pedal or two??

Just a thought. Until you can A/B them yourself, I doubt if anyone could determine whether it's worth it or not!
  6. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Thankyou very much, all the fihures on weight and stuff on the website went to my head bigtime!!!

I think ill stick with the ashdown, ill go try it next week.
    The only thing that i think would peeve me off is the un-ability to upgrade to more cabs.

oh well, thats what you pay for cheaper prices!!!
  7. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    BTW i have just got back from a gig at a local bar, and they were using the very trace elliot in question.
    Sadly i didnt get there in time to see the soundchecks. But when they lifted it off stage it seemed a bit hefty. :|