Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a louder amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by downstairs, Jun 22, 2002.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Today during band practice i did something i never thought i'd have to do, i finally turned my amp up to 10. I do keep my pre gain at 2, but after that it starts distorting. I run my bass pod into my amp, it has the bass about 6.6, mid about 4.5, and high at 10, and i use a musicman copy. I have a 4 ohm peavey 4x10 and the amp head is an older peavey guitar amp head, i leave the controls flat on it, with a slight boost on the 600 hz frequency. I'm just telling ya all what i do so you guys don't say "well try boosting your mids", when i do boost my mids it starts to sound kinda of "farty". Does anyone have a good suggestiong of an amp, about 500 watts at 4 ohms, with a graphic EQ? Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
  3. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    While this may be "true" what you really need is a BASS amp.

Try one, you'll be delighted!

I would suggest a Peavey amp. I'm not completely versed in which ones have a graphic eq.

4. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    The thing is, I don't have a job yet, so I don't have that much money to spend on an amp. Anything in the $300-$400?

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you're using a bass POD and are happy with it you could get by with a power amp. Check out the Carvin DCM series and the QSC RMX series.

6. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Save your $$$$ and get yourself a real "BASS" amp.
    You cant expect to sound good through a guitar head dude.

7. SWR SM-500. If money is a big concern, forget about it though :) (unless you maybe go for an older model used).

If your cabinet is handling you setting the amp on "10" then yes, you need a more powerful amp. Just remember for future reference though that more speakers will give you volume more than a larger amp.

8. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Yeah, the pod has a great tone for recording, but when I play in my friends garage, I use the EQ to get a little bit of extra oomf out of the tone. The only reason i don't run my 15" cab and my 4x10 cab together is because the 15 is 8 ohms, and the 4x10 is 4 ohms.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    turning up a guitar amp head that loud when you're pushing a bass through it may hurt something eventually. I say get a power amp...

10. I second the poweramp idea. You already have a preamp via the POD, and watts/$$ is maximized if you just get a poweramp. You could get a lot of power for the money you're talking about, look on eBay....

Also, you could run both cabs with the right poweramp, I don't think it matter that they're different impedances. I think using the 2 together you're looking at 2.67 ohms, so a poweramp that can run a 2 ohm load (which most do) would do fine. You'd have an awesome rig!!

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I was thinking most power amps have two channels, so you could run one cab off of each side and be able to control the volume of individual cabs.