1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a louder amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by downstairs, Jun 22, 2002.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Today during band practice i did something i never thought i'd have to do, i finally turned my amp up to 10. I do keep my pre gain at 2, but after that it starts distorting. I run my bass pod into my amp, it has the bass about 6.6, mid about 4.5, and high at 10, and i use a musicman copy. I have a 4 ohm peavey 4x10 and the amp head is an older peavey guitar amp head, i leave the controls flat on it, with a slight boost on the 600 hz frequency. I'm just telling ya all what i do so you guys don't say "well try boosting your mids", when i do boost my mids it starts to sound kinda of "farty". Does anyone have a good suggestiong of an amp, about 500 watts at 4 ohms, with a graphic EQ? Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
  3. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    While this may be "true" what you really need is a BASS amp.

Try one, you'll be delighted!

I would suggest a Peavey amp. I'm not completely versed in which ones have a graphic eq.

4. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    The thing is, I don't have a job yet, so I don't have that much money to spend on an amp. Anything in the $300-$400?

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you're using a bass POD and are happy with it you could get by with a power amp. Check out the Carvin DCM series and the QSC RMX series.

6. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Save your $$$$ and get yourself a real "BASS" amp.
    You cant expect to sound good through a guitar head dude.

7. SWR SM-500. If money is a big concern, forget about it though :) (unless you maybe go for an older model used).

If your cabinet is handling you setting the amp on "10" then yes, you need a more powerful amp. Just remember for future reference though that more speakers will give you volume more than a larger amp.

8. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Yeah, the pod has a great tone for recording, but when I play in my friends garage, I use the EQ to get a little bit of extra oomf out of the tone. The only reason i don't run my 15" cab and my 4x10 cab together is because the 15 is 8 ohms, and the 4x10 is 4 ohms.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    turning up a guitar amp head that loud when you're pushing a bass through it may hurt something eventually. I say get a power amp...

10. I second the poweramp idea. You already have a preamp via the POD, and watts/$$ is maximized if you just get a poweramp. You could get a lot of power for the money you're talking about, look on eBay....

Also, you could run both cabs with the right poweramp, I don't think it matter that they're different impedances. I think using the 2 together you're looking at 2.67 ohms, so a poweramp that can run a 2 ohm load (which most do) would do fine. You'd have an awesome rig!!

11. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I was thinking most power amps have two channels, so you could run one cab off of each side and be able to control the volume of individual cabs.