1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a Low B string lovin' Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StringThing, Mar 8, 2008.

1. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    I have Ampeg SVTIII pro head. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with some of the single 12" cabinets, or a 4x10 cab as stand alone with that Low B of a Jazz Bass.

I would like to be able to run it a couple of ways,

Ampeg into said cabinet alone. This would be ideal

Ampeg into cabinet and 18" cab for big shows (bottom not an issue here)

Run as an extension to SWR Workingman's 15 to boost output to 160W from 120W, move more air, and bottom mojo.

Seems like some of the single 12s out there are too good to be true. But it's hard to judge a rig till a gig. We are a rock, blues folk band. No marshall stacks or a hero drummer, but we do get fairly loud depending on venue and drink ;)

Thanks for your input.

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Epifani should do the trick

Rob

3. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    That's what I'm think, but I heard of some "rattling" issue with the low B on these forums. I'm going to GC to try one now. I can grab a used dusty-ass peavy 4x10 for $100 and cover my ass for a gig, but I couldn't test it with a low B. My early model (Pre port Goliath) SWR 4x10 was horrible on the low end. I own a mustang so while a4x10 can fit, I'd rather a single 12" I could always grab another to run together down the road too.

4. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    regarding the Epifani that is....

5. An Eden D210XST or D410XST can handle the low B easily.

6. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    My Epifani 410-UL is unfreakin' real. No rattling issues here.

7. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    +1:hyper:;)

8. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    Off to the Gig!!!! I'll post back!!!

:)

9. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    in my experience the clarity of the low B has nothing to do with the cabinets, but is up to the bass. what kind of bass do you use? i had some crappy ibanez and considered the B useless until i got a sting ray and now no matter what cabinet im using the B comes through nicely

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i've found that any cab that hits a healthy 40Hz and plenty of wattage and headroom should give you a very satisfying low B.

with that said, if you're REALLY serious about your low B, an Acme B-4 cab with at least 1200 watts would rock. now, i know that sounds like alot, but again, its the extra horsepower and headroom on tap makes for the thickest fattest B i've ever played.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i think rattling can be found on most any cab, when things get sloppy at any shop. but all the epifani's i've owned have all been superbly built.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    like all things, a good low B is a combination of things. and in the bass world, because the frequencies down there are soo low, articulation and punch are the two hallmarks of a great bass sound. you not only have to *hear* those low notes properly with an articulate voice, but you should also *feel* the note.

so, to properly hear said note, the cabinet is just as important if not moreso in most cases, and if the cab cant produce enough of the frequency range down there, its not gonna give a player enough articulation to know that you're playing the right note, or provide the overall note enough meat and thickness.

but the second half of this important component is wattage. any cab even your ipod's earbuds can allow you hear something coming from a low B string. but to push out of a 4x10 cab, those long and stretched out wavelengths need alot of energy to get them to pump out of the speaker cab accordingly. so, to fully feel that punch and kick from the low B, you need enough wattage to push out those lower notes to fully feel that satisfying kick that's the mark of a great sound.

course, if a bass isnt setup properly, where the string flops around on your bass' fretboard, or if you havent quite found the right strings for the bass that really let the bass sing, a low b will suffer.

13. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Sounds like way too much work. Glad I play 4's ;)

14. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    I have the manual too.. But I'm not sure how to run at 4ohms? I got the Aquilar GS212 600w 4ohm cab and ran it at a show last night. I had the head pretty much maxxed out. I just plugged the cab to the head, so I'm assuming it was at the 8ohm 275W setting. As I have the cab for 30 days before I cannot return, I want to see what running at 4 ohms is like. I want headroom!

So, at the risk of sounding stupid, how does one run the SVT3 pro at 4ohms?

The Cab was warm and nice! I ran it without any compression, so a small lack of punch can be dialed in. I really like the cab. Small stage footprint, very big sound, didn't step allover the other instruments, even when it was too loud.

15. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    there is no setting for 4 ohms. you just connect a 4 ohm cab and it'll put out the power rating for that speaker load. so you were already running your amp at 4 ohms if the only cab you had connected was your 4 ohm gs 212.

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

One 4 ohm cab or two 8ohm cabs

Rob

17. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My Dr. Bass 2460 has absolutely no problem handling the low B of my active fivers - and it's affordable :eek:

18. +1

The 410XST slams!!! :D