1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a measurment from a Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassbuilder, Jul 25, 2012.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Can someone let me know what the distence is from the 21st fret to the pickup on a stingray? Single humberker model. Let me know if you measure to the center of the pup or the where? Hope someone can help and thank you in advance. Also I hope I added this in the correct spot of the forum.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

5 3/4" from edge of the 21st fret to edge of the pickup.

3. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    You the man!

4. I got the exact same measurement on my Stingray Classic.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

No worries, if you post a new question thread PM me if you don't get an answer, my ray is upstairs.

If your curious that is a 2007 EBMM StingRay Classic, 1 humbucker, 2-band EQ.

Good luck with your build.

6. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    It's about 5.7" to the pup's edge or 6.2" to the upper coil (center).

'00 two band vintage sunburst stingray:

[​IMG]

7. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    +1!

:D

8. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    Thanks everyone. That helps a lot. I now have my full scale print out of the body and everything measures up just right. So now time to get to work. I am going to build me a scrap bass. Everything will be from woods and left over parts I have around. The body will have a hard ash top and I think I have enough mahogany for the back of the body, so it will be 50/50 Ash/Mahogany body. I will use a Bartolini MM pup and a Bartolini split J pup tilted in the P posission, (I want my 2 favorite tones, a P-bass and a MM bass) it will have a 3 band Bartolini electronics. The neck will be a 21 fret I have with Birdseye Maple with Rosewood f-board. Schaller tunners and a Gotoh bridge. I am also designing my own pick-guard. I may post a pick of the drawing I have done to let everyone see what it will look like. I think this will be a killer bass when all said and done.

9. Is your date a typo? My Stingray Classic is from the first shipment to UK and was built in April 2010 - IIRC the Musicman Classic Collection (SR4, SR5 and Sterling 4) was announced at NAMM winter 2009, with a v small batch of prototypes (which were sold to the public) - followed by first specs announced for order from dealers at the beginning of 2010.

10. DiabolusInMusic

Nope, I e-mailed EB when I first got my StingRay to get some more details on it, all they told me was D.O.B.

This is a StingRay Classic, not a sterling or an SR4 or anything. That is what the headstock reads.

11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Can you post some photos of your classic ray? According to this article (and as far as I can remember) the classic line was released in 2010.

http://www.musicgearreview.com/article-display/3089.html

:eyebrow:

12. DiabolusInMusic

Oh snap, I dug it out of its case and it is not a classic... I thought it was. Shows how much I use the thing. My bad. When I got it I just went on musiciansfriend and the only 2 band, front jack ones I saw were classics, I clearly just assumed it was. :eek:

I am going to guess this style was available a few years ago and it has been changed.

I never bought the bass, I got it in a trade, dirt cheap. Never really wanted one, but they are a pretty solid bass.

Well the measurement is off a 2 band 2007 StingRay then. I suppose I should go change my kijiji ad as well, not that anybody is even looking, the market on these things used is pretty sad.

Attached Files: