1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a more aggressive amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by birminghambass, Jun 11, 2012.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Been playing a GK rig for the last 6 years (700rb2 +15+210). Always served me well but it's just too big and bulky for my latest gig. Just landed a Genz Neo 212T. Sounds good, very warm and fat with just enough highs. Using the 700rb2 I've noticed a loss in clarity in the mids. I loved the quickness of the all GK setup and would love to get some of that back in a different amp. Any amp recommendations that will get me that midrange articulation without losing the fat warm bottom? Tried a Walkabout and a TC rh450, they were both a step in the wrong direction. I'm not looking for a hifi setup, just a little more grunt and gank in the mids to punch thru the mix.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    GK or Ampeg. I'm a little surprised you're not able to get it with the GK, perhaps the cab pairing isn't optimal for that amp.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 the GK *should* be the perfect amp for what you describe. Try a Mesa M6 carbine on for size.

4. rizzo9247

rizzo9247

Nov 24, 2008
    NYC
    Aguilar Tone Hammer 500

5. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    The Ampegs are a little too loose in the lows for this cab. The GK sounds good, just not a great match with this cab.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Well, do you like the old amp or the new cab better?

If you like the old amp, stick with the old cabs or try out some of the new GK Neos.
    If you like the new cab, how about a Genz amp? A Shuttle may be more in line to what you're looking for than a Streamliner.

7. Sorry I fail to see any logic here. You have a amp known for the sound you want (and you indeed had that sound), had matching brand cabs. You changed cab makers and no longer get the sound you want so you want to change the last thing remaining of the sound you like?

8. bringitlow

bringitlow

Jun 19, 2009
    San Diego
    are you cranking the boost knob? that usually will do it.

from my experience GK amps have a very strong and distinct midrange presence. If i ever needed more a few notches on the boost knob got the job done, regardless of what cab i was using.

9. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I stated that it served me well, it no longer does. I'm playing smaller stages/rooms and a different style of music. The Genz cab is much smaller and gives a more supportive sound. I'd like to find an amp that has more available mids so I have the option to dial them in if needed. I'm not looking for the exact same tone I had, just looking for an amp that will play better with the cab.

10. The only more aggressive in mids amp I know of is a Traynor tube amp (YBA's). I would say to explore your presence and contour controls a little more first. If they don't do it, you may just have the wrong speaker cab.

11. Just for fun, test run an MB500 with your cab(s) .
    When I a/b with my 700RB II, although the 700 feels more hefty down low, the 500 is the most aggressive in your face amp I have played.
    btw, i'd agree that 700 seems to me to need the boost "pegged" or close to accentuate the mids, in other word, when the mids become too "clean", they begin to go "un-noticed"
    be worth a try imo