Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a name.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Ok, me and some friends have been jamming for years, and just recently started actually writing full fledged songs. We have a gig on the 3rd of December and this actually the first gig we've been to where we need an actually "name." ...

So we all have no idea what to go for as a name... we just enjoy playing. We're all instrumental improv band, crazy solos throughout the whole songs. We have two guitars, me (bass), and the drummer. We might get a singer someday, but we're contemt right now without the hastle of lyrics.

So here's my thought. We play funk/rock/newer crap/some jazz once and awhile. Now we need a cool fancy name that people will have to look up in the dictionary to figure out what it means... something sophisticated. I was thinking "Enmity" and then something after that. It needs to be 2 to 4 words, preferably starting with "Enmity.

-thx guys, lets here that creativity!

2. Enmity of the Gherkin.

3. The Secret Life of Walter Enmity.

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Pubic Enmity?

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Ooops- I meant Public , though I guess Pubic might be funnier...

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Here's some without "enmity" that I thought of:

Particle Accelerator

The Verkhovensky Five (extremely obscure literary reference, PM me if you want to know)

The Black Hand (semi-obscure historical reference)

All of these struck me as possibly working with the style of music you describe. But honestly, I don't think they beat Pubic Enmity, that's hilarious.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Rapacious Enmity......there ya go, two words you have to look up. :D

-Mike

8. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    How bout Three=D or 3/D OR 3D :)
    for the 3rd of December
    It is easy for people to remember,just think of the marketing
    ideas for that.

9. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Barnacle Accelerator?
    The Futz?
    The Prowling Nuns?
    Spock's Bilbo?

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nuckin' Futz?

-Mike

11. The Judas Muppets.

12. nuclearrabbit17

nuclearrabbit17 Guest

May 20, 2004
    Buddhist Priest

Lost Profits

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Enmity is too hard for the general public to *say* though. Remember, lowest common denominator. Doesn't mean it's a bad word to use, especially if you're all about it being fancy and sophisticated, it just won't flow easily.

That said, how about:

Enmity and Amnesty (E&A for short, when you become a household word, of course!)

I like Golden Boy's choice too =0)

14. Sort of like Y&T!!

15. ... Wasn't "The Black Hand" the group that assassinated Franz Ferdinand back before WWI?

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Bingo! It seems to balance the fact that there is now a band called "Franz Ferdinand" :p

17. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I was going to say something, but then I realized that I had Czar Nicholas and Franz Ferdinand mixed up.

18. .. I think if we ever became popular, the French would be really pissed off at us. The headlines:

"Franz Ferdinand tours Europe along with the new The Black Hand...'" (dont ask)

Ya, i think something would happen with Serbia again and according to my luck it'll start another Bulcan war...

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I really like 'Secret Life of Walter Enmity' and 'Barnacle Accelerator.'

I have to come up with a name soon too. I'm finally playing with other living Human musicians again. The group, so far is Bass, Guitar, Drums, and Female Lead Vox. We're doing a bunch of covers, for now to build up a playlist. We keep coming up with songs that SEEMED like they would work and then really don't. But we are generally keeping about two thirds of the songs we're learning, so maybe we'll only need to learn 75 to carry a whole night. :rolleyes:

I've been using a project name for the stuff I do by myself. I'm considering offering it as a band name. What do you think of 'Meanwhile, Elsewhere'?