Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a new 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Apr 12, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I need a new 1x15. I am most likely going to buy a used one, since new is way too much money. i need something that can deliver loud volume even with extreme lows. My carvin 1x15 isnt even close to what i need.

i was looking at SWR son of bertha, eden, and ampeg, but the price is a little high. i then saw that hartke has 4x10 cabs that are tuned at 30 hz. and their 1x15's are the same i believe. the price is more reachable on these. not the VX, i am not buying some budget gear, although i am on a budget.

then avatar came to mind, but im sure their cabinets cant be much more than a carvin. can they reach desirable volume and can they handle extreme lows?

anybody with some suggestions or points that i may have missed, please help. thanks in advance

2. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    also, i know that carvins 600 watts RMS is a pile of BullSH*t it doesnt even seem to handle 300 watts.

besides from carvin's trickery of words, how do other companys' specs on wattage and frequency response compare to how the product actually is.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I always go back to Peavey for Bass Cabinets.

The Peavey 115 Black Widow would be an excellent used cabinet. Also, the new Pro Cabinets 1X15 are very tempting.

Give them a try. You will not regret it.

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    As far as Carvin vs. Avatar, the general consensus among people who have owned both is that the Avatars are much better.

Looking for a used cab would be a good plan as well-- after a little bit of looking you'll probably find a great deal on something much better than the Carvin, that you can sell for the same price you got it for if you need to.
    If you're thinking Hartke I would recommend the XL series one.

6. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    which would you think handles the extreme lows better? note: i tune my 5 string ADADG sometimes a step lower, so i need those low frequencies.

7. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    as far as that yorkville goes, what is the frequency response? anymonre specs on it. im probably not going to go with that one, 300 watts program? thats like 150 watts RMS, which is smaller than i need.

8. Jazz Ad

What's your amp ?
    Program power usually gives you a good idea of what your amp should deliver to the cab.
    Headroom can't hurt and cabs like to be slightly overpowered.

9. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    i currently use an ampeg V-9 SVT, which is 350 watts i believe. i am also awaiting a carvin R1000 it should be here wedensday. it is 1000 bridged at 4 ohms, or i think 350 per side at 4 ohms. but i ould like to be able to run a cabinet at high power, bridged at 8 ohms is 700 watts, which is what i might use, although i want a 4 ohm cab because i will most likely biamp or even stereo full range dependin on what i like in the amp.

and also, i was told that RMS is hat you should look at, and is what i am, because prgram is mainly for that unintentional volume bursts, although i am going to use a compressor.

10. Jazz Ad

You were told right. RMS is all that counts.
    The YorkVille must have something around 220 W RMS power.

Now, a 1000 W amp is not meant to be used full range, which doesn't make much sense.
    The idea is to have more headroom. Most likely, you'll never go past 1/4 of the volume knob.

11. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    well full range is not bridged. stereo full range is two separate amps running 350 each side. bridged is running both together which in my case would be 1000 watts. so stereo full range would be fine. i would only bridge if i used my 8x10, which would take it.

12. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    There is a common misconception that a dimed volume knob equals 100% power, and a knob at 5 o'clock equals 50% power. Thus many people think they can compare the power of amps by A/Bing the amps with the same volume knob position (I've witnessed it myself), when really the only way to do it is to compare the volume at which the amp starts to audibly distort. I'm not assuming you actually think that volume knob position=power level, but I would refrain from using volume-knob terminology so that people don't go thinking that the space left for the volume knob to go equals headroom.